Your Collection: Mostly Traditional or Non-Traditional Shapes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
While browsing to beat the latest bout of PAD, I've come across some very conservative designs that look like they have been unchanged in 200 years, and some wild designs. I thought I would never have a crazy wild one, could you really smoke from them? I also thought that there are folks who probably hate the traditional styles, haven't we seen this all before?
So you guys with large collections, are you biased towards one side or the other? Do you have a mix of both?
002-701-1970.2956.jpg

002-600-0038.7635.jpg

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
All traditional, all bent, but then again 6 pipes is not exactly a big collection :)
img_0593-600x450.jpg

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Although I love traditional shapes, Billiard, Pot, Prince and Dublin, I cant help myself when a traditional has been taken to a new level by being pinched, squashed or tortured into a wild shape that allows one to see its origins yet realistically is non traditional. I have a soft spot for wild interpretations of natural items from nature being made into pipes and shapes that touch me as well.

banjo

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
All traditional except for half a dozen freehands.
I have a soft spot for wild interpretations of natural items from nature being made into pipes and shapes that touch me as well.
It has served you well, that's a wonderful collection you have :clap:

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
All traditional for me so far with my 20 or so pipes. I've eyeballed Nording freehands from time to time but can't seem to pull the trigger.

I collect dublins with all of its subcategories of zulus, horns, etc... and bulldogs, but I don’t care for the Rhodesian bulldogs or the bull cap subcategories of the standard bulldog. However, with the bulldog, I really enjoy variations created by artisans. As long as it has the two cones for the bowl and a diamond shank, I enjoy it when the artist plays with dimensions and distorted proportions within the genre.

So, both.
I find it funny that freehands come up as non traditional. I guess it is, but the name brings to my mind a very specific shape, which I think of as traditional. For non-traditional, Neerups and Beckers come to mind.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Traditional, with one Danish, and some carved meers- whether those'd be considered traditional or not, I don't know. Guess is they are.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think freehands are traditional by now. On that basis, my pipes are almost entirely traditional but with lots of variation and as is generally true a number of hybrids. That is, you can ponder whether this one is a brandy or an apple, and whether that one is a brandy or a volcano, a poker or a pot, and so forth. The the tradition is evident in nearly every pipe, maybe all pipes.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Whilst the bulk of my shoddy assortment of derelict pipes is largely traditional in nature (Barlings are very traditional) I love an imaginatively designed pipe that smokes well.
C'mon, what's not to like about fins and flames!
Noymfd9.jpg

5D4GFwK.jpg

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Primarily traditional here, too, allowing for some neoclassical Peterson interpretations. Have a couple of freehands I like but it's only the rare freehand I find particularly attractive. That's a lovely one you've got there sable.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Traditional, if stubby nosewarmers count as traditional. I don't like anything that looks too 'silly'.
I only have four pipes, three are of the typical bent style (one of these being of the stubby big ben variety) and my latest which is a straight. I bought the straight because I was growing very tired of the typical bent shape.
As my collection slowly grows, they will be mainly made up of the straight nosewarmer type - like the Morgan Bones Stubby Pot
chris-morgan-pfeife-bones-stubby-no-5-9mm-filter.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.