Your Collection: Mostly Traditional or Non-Traditional Shapes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
All traditional for me. I already feel embarrassed enough to appear with a pipe in public, one of those "futuristic" shapes would make me even more uncomfortable. :D Just joking, I couldn't care less about all the rubberneckers who stare at me every single time. :)

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Thank you but The Painted Word in every way surpasses my writing, The ideas are more witty and complex and more finely drawn, and the commentary on modern art as being the first art to require a scorecard for its interpretation is fine satire.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
That's the 'canonical' definition of traditional, Mike. Doesn't have anything to do with time periods. Of course there are subtle variations with a given shape from different makers, but the basic shape is still there; kinda like with the three types of body –not all ectomorphs look like clones but the basic geometry is there.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
just look at, match up with the shape chart
I guess that would put me about 70-30 non-traditional. I've got a few outliers like an old Sav Autograph Giant sandblast. I'll see if I can find an image of it & if not I'll try to take a snap tonight. It's basically like a bloated blackjack. Seriously. Not kidding.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I think some of the traditional shapes seem to be natural or logical shapes for a pipe. Apple, billiard, pot, dublin, cutty, they are just vessels for tobacco. I guess the bulldog, now a traditional shape, must have seemed pretty extravagant at some point.

I did a huge post on bulldogs at one time. They were the first pipe shape created on those slot and peg frazing machines that fully created the pipes by machine in the late 1800's. They had a brass cap that made them look more like a billiard, but guys would tear that brass cap off, because they just looked too frilly for men. Thus the bulldog was born. They were the first fully frazed stummels, completely machine made. That is why they look like they do. But, since artists have elaborated on their shape.
But, funny, the billiard to me looks like the least natural. While the dublin is a bent funnel or horn, the billiard has to be fancifully shaped to look the least natural of all of the pipe shapes, IMO.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
I tend to like the classic shapes, pipes made in the 50’s & before. Partly it’s a like of more gentile times, as well as I like traditional sized pipe dimensions.

because they just looked too frilly for men

Ha ha, that part was my speculation. But, I had purchased 6 of these French milled pipes from that era off of Ebay at the time, and all had come with their caps removed, and four of them had the caps included. They were also rather thin brass, which were easily dented or warped with use... which was probably the real reason guys just took the caps off. But, given name "bulldog," and their "tough guy" look without the cap... I felt the inference was warranted. :puffy:

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
This is sort of (OK, TBH, it IS completely) tangential, but I promised Mike I'd upload some snaps of the Autograph "blackjack" I mentioned yesterday. And yeah, I know the stem needs work, but I couldn't find any magic erasers at the house; gonna get some this weekend. I included the close-up, though, to show the gold on the stem. Original vulcanite, despite being 45 years old & having gone through a LOT of knocking about.
autograph1.jpg

autograph2.jpg

autograph3.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Most of my collection consists of Dublin's,Billiards, Apples, Brandy's,Lovats and Rhodesian's. I prefer the classic shapes but I do have one pipe that is definitely not conventional. I call it the Alien Pod pipe. I bought it because it was weird, green and had a nice blast. It smokes great.

Trever Talbot Goblin.

talbert10-600x525.jpg

I just googled through years of posts that I made about bulldogs, most I had forgotten about. But, I cannot find the specific thread. It was shortly after I joined PM, and I had bought a box of French bulldog stummels from Skip that were from the turn of the century. I had made stems and creative bands for several of them, and then Skip was showing them off which started folks at The Briary sending me messages about the history. Skip has some old ads from the late 1800's that had the write ups on them, and then there was discussion about frasing (frazing?) machines that were the old slot and peg types that fully fabricated the shapes. Mark Tinsky is who I would ask more about that, or Erik Nording, as they have worked with these old machines a long time ago. I had thought about writing an actual research article on them, but most of what I was getting was hearsay, secondhand information, "Erik said" or Mark said." Mark and Skip are old friends, going way back. But, I lost interest. But, i still get the odd bit of information here and there, because I still collect bullies.
But, the best I understand it, these first fraising machines were not the typical lathe, and in my box of stummels, I could tell that the holes weren't drilled till after the outside had been carved, because some didn't have holes, and some were very badly drilled. I would still love to see one of these machines, to see how they were made. But, I imagine they are similar to how the lapidary carving machines work, making the mass produced ivory and ebony chess pieces. I use that as an example, because I have seen these at Gem and Mineral shows. The slots and pegs are all set to control the cutters, making it stop at various points to created a 3D image.
Thumbing through some of the antique ads that Skip has, I found the pictures of the first sets of bulldogs with the brass caps. I have one that I then bought off of eBay. It was very easy to remove the caps, because it was paper thin and merely held on with two little brass nails. And, you'll see the little holes in many of the older bulldogs sold on eBay. Now, why guys removed the cap... just pull it off with little effort... because they were frilly, non-masculine, or easily damaged... that was just guesswork. But, knocking one with a cap on it onto a knocker would easily damage the thing, so... it was probably a mixture of all of these.
Maybe one day, when I have spare time, I will do some real research, maybe visit France to try to find one of these machines, and write up an actual research article. But, as for now... I will just enjoy my bullies and hold them in fascination for how they were created. They appeal to me. :puffy:

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
Hi. I'm new to the forum and not an expert on pipes although I have been smoking them for 30 years. My favorite smoking pipes are 2 Peterson System P-lips, a big calabash, and a collection of Savinelli Romas in traditional shapes, mostly bents. I have another 3 dozen E-bay treasures in the back room that don't get smoked as much. I spend a lot of time leaned back in a recliner with a bent sitting on my chest. Alas, I wear dentures and clamping a straight pipe in my mouth for any length of time is uncomfortable. I like smooth tobaccos that don't burn my tongue, although enjoy a nice spicy Latika sometimes. Probably my favorite tobacco is Lane BCA or another black Cavendish.
I just discovered this forum and think I will enjoy it. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.