Your Collection: Mostly Traditional or Non-Traditional Shapes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I'm in the very traditional camp.
jay-roger.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
Most of my pipes are traditional. But that's because they're just so dang collectible! You get one (for example) Peterson 106 Billiard, and then you want another from another line with a different stain, stem, etc,.
But I love freehands and many non-traditional shapes. But freehands are all hand shaped, and no two are exactly alike. So it's really a bit more about what freehand in a group you may be looking at are more pleasing to your eye. I think, in a way, it makes them more special.

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
Very much a traditionalist when it comes to pipe shapes, I like the straight billiard family and the bulk of my collection follows this. I have the odd modern shape like the devil anse but then it's not exactly an 'out there' shape.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Traditional for me, mostly Sasieni Straight Billiards and Apples. I do love some of the more traditionally shaped Castellos, as well (I'm looking at a Buldog variant now). I don't like squashed, stubby, pinched, or Danish Freehand pipes, and loathe anything metal or made from food! I realize this is all subject to change, but I have always liked pipes that, to me, look like pipes.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I keep the Savinelli and GBD yachtsman shape for clenching, but for sit down time, volcanos, blowfish, and pipe shapes that defy classification are what I like. Traditional shapes on the whole bore me.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Traditional, although I do have one Dunhill that is a bit Art Deco looking.
One of these days I suppose I might try a Falcon but haven't worked up to it yet. I find those vaping devices to be repugnant so anything metal just rubs me wrong I suppose even though the Falcon is old enough now to be considered a classic by some standards.
I do admire the creative genius of the artisan pipes that I see posted here though! The beautiful designs are impressive and some of them are just pure artwork with the added bonus that you can smoke them.
Fishbanjo has the most remarkable collection and it just boggles the mind to see the stunning artisan pipes and materials. Yowser!

leafsmoker

Can't Leave
Oct 26, 2017
Indiana, USA
I have traditional and crafted pipes both. I love to have variety. But if I had only one pipe to smoke, I would be happy to have just have that one pipe regardless what it looked like. :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.