PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
On Thursday we'll celebrate Independence Day here in the United States of America. My direct ancestor William Lafayette Bell came to the Colonies from Ireland in 1750, eventually settling in Pennsylvania, and his son was a private in the Revolutionary War. We have his pay stubs for the 6 and 2/3 dollars per month he received during his service. Every year I always remember to think about what an amazing thing he contributed to, and how cool it is that his blood now flows in my 2 month old daughter's veins.
Since those days my family has continuously moved further west through the generations, following the frontier as it kept redefining what it means to be Independent both geographically and in spirit. My home state of Alaska is proud to be the 49th addition to the United States, and yet remains a fiercely independent state in it's own right.
To celebrate both on Thursday I will be loading up a bowl of McLelland 40th Anniversary in my J.M. Boswell Freehand Sitter and relaxing on the back porch, staring at the mountains above the Knik River, and appreciating the Independence our ancestors fought so hard to attain, and our brothers and sisters in arms continue to fight so hard to retain. We all owe them a significant debt for their incredible sacrifice, so please remember to thank them profusely when you cross paths for keeping the spirit our forefathers fought so hard to instill alive for centuries to come.
To any of those on the forum who have served, past and present, I offer you a most heartfelt THANK YOU! And remind you that the gratitude of we civilians for your service to our great country is never far from our thoughts.
What will all of you (American or otherwise) be smoking to celebrate the holiday on Thursday?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I might open my tin of 40th and join you in that!
Mine is a fresh tin as well, it will be my first taste of the stuff. Or any McLelland VA for that matter. I hope it's great, because it was expensive. At the same time, I hope it's terrible, because it was expensive, hahaha.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
You will most likely really enjoy your 40th! But as for all tobacco, smoke it for what it is (maybe a little extra savoring) and know there is another different blend out there that will hit the spot when you need it. Especially when you buy aged, or age your own tins. Duds become studs real fast!
I have a last bowl full of Dark Star that I will smoke if it makes it until Thursday. Otherwise I have been on a Dunbar (really starting to grow on me) and BS Flake rotation, so will end up smoking one of those. Trying to knock down a few jars before opening something new.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
What a nice piece of history you have shared. That has to be such a treasured heirloom in your family.
My ancestory goes back to Europe from my grandfathers from Belgium and Czech Republic. That's about as far as I know. Both however were World War 2 Veterans. My fathers father was a Merchant Marine over the Atlantic and my mothers father was a line cook in Italy.
I have however visited Boston and what a great place that is for history. It's such a surreal place. Sam Adams, John Hancock and Paul Revere are buried there and you can go visit the cemetery.
Here in Michigan, we have Mackinac (Pronounced MACK-IN-AWE) Island. It served as a Fort for the British during the American Revolution and during the War of 1812 when they tried again. There are some British soldiers buried there from what I remember.
Also, a little tid-bit. Samuel Adams Beer, out of Boston, uses Traverse City cherries from northern Michigan for their Cherry Wheat Ale.
I don't really have anything special to smoke. Perhaps I'll smoke some 3P's

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Lucky thing they both made it! I am familiar with Mackinac Island. Watcha Tink I am some kinda fudge sucker?! Holy Wah!
Just Kidding :D
I also love my Filson Mackinaw Wool Jacket! The cloth taking it's name from the region.
Interesting. Cherry Wheat is not my favorite Boston Beer Co. brew, but that's cool that they are sourcing good cherries.
3P's is special enough! A fine blend if availability is any indication. Just picked up a couple tins to try myself, probably in the next few weeks.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Since I've started in on the LJ Peretti Tashkent, I've been itching to try another LJP blend, so I may go that route on the 4th.
Maybe the Omega. It got 4 stars from several well regarded reviewers. It seems like the Tashkent with VA added.
jay-roger.jpg

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Hmmmm. All good blends above. I'm not sure. Probably what ever strikes me at the moment tomorrow. But right now I'm thinking one of these three; HH Old Dark Fired, Peterson Irish Flake, or Solani Silver Flake. A happy and safe 4th to all

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I'm going to smoke a Cohiba Esplendido from a 3 pack I won a year or so ago. I'll smoke one of the strong GH&C flakes or ropes tomorrow morning, as I've been doing for the past week or so. Other than that, I don't have anything planned.
I might smoke some ribs, too. Actually have the place to myself this weekend. Aim to take advantage.
Happy 4th of July everyone. Cool stuff, Alaskan! Love the Tuskeegee Airmen choice by Elasmo.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I might smoke some ribs, too
I'll be smoking about 20lbs of sockeye salmon over the next few days as well, and probably fire up some moose brats and caribou burgers tomorrow evening. Several pounds of homemade chipotle potato salad, and my wife's fresh caprese salad oughta make it a nice day. All washed down with numerous brews of course, likely pilsner and IPA given the heat wave here, leftover cake and wild scoops ice cream for dessert followed by some Woodford Reserve Double Oaked Single Barrel Bourbon, and a little Elmer T. Lee Bourbon most likely as well.
I got a new little slightly bent forward canted Genod Poker to use while grilling that I may have to give a test run in the evening as well. Although I was hoping for it to be my english blend only poker, and burning an english blend on Independence day just seems.........wrong.........or maybe absolutely right? I'm conflicted.....

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The only blend I know for sure I will smoke tomorrow is some 1997 Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky as my second smoke of the day. I have been doing this second of the day thing with the Orlik since I cracked the tin around a week or so ago. I smoke a milder Va flake as first of the day to get the taste buds going and then the DSK.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
An American made English style blend, perhaps Smyrna or Quiet Nights, in an American made artisan pipe. Then whatever in whatever. Capstan in a Dunhill? Long live The Queen!

Status
Not open for further replies.