PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeytay33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2013
Great to see that there are a lot of young smokers! I'm 23, will be 24 in a few months, and I started when I was 21. I love it.
I am a girl, but my Grandpa smoked a pipe when he was younger. I faintly remember it. And I found out my dad owned a pipe in college, though he prefers the occasional cigar more now.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
I am 36 and have been smoking a pipe since I was 20. Being in the army, everyone either smoked cigs or dipped?chewed. I never wanted to smoke cigs or dip and when returning from deployments, we would smoke nice cigars to celebrate. I wanted to try cherry tobacco and rolling papers were not working so I went to a pipe. I had a friend that smoked a pipe and he educated me. I started off with a nice 150.00 Meer and eventually bought a bent bulldog and another meer. When I moved down to Texas back in 2005 I really got into it. I quite smoking aromatics and discovered Dunhill, Ashton,and Ferndown. I gave up most of my petes except my Sherlock Squire and focused on the higher end British pipes.
I met my wife and 2010 and stupidly sold all my pipes and gave up smoking. Started smoking Cigars back on my wedding night in 2012 and my birthday OCt of last year got back into pipes.
I have no problem with younger people smoking a pipe. My one issue is smoking a pipe because it completes a look. Same with wearing glasses with no prescription. I find it poserish. Smoke a pipe because you enjoy it and for no other reason.

youngsterpuffer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2013
A lot of people scoff at younger smokers, but when it comes down to it, we keep the hobby alive. And no doubt, all of us are very eager and happy to learn from the elders on this site.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
On the 22nd of February in the year of our Lord 2015 I will reach 30 years of age.
I got into pipe smoking when I was 18. If the screen name wasn't obvious, I turned 18 when the final Lord of the Rings movie came out. I headed down to a local B&M and picked up a basket church warden, which I still have, and some house bulk cherry blend. It was off and on for about 7 years. About five years ago I was havin a pipe on the patio when my then girlfriend came over. Her reaction was, "I didn't know you smoked a pipe. That's sexy!". Needless to say that was the moment I decided it had to become a more regular occurrence lol.
My stepdad had one pipe that he'd have a bowl from a couple times a year. My dad gave the pipe a try in his 20s, but Captain Black steered him away from the briar lol. I can't think of any family members who smoked a pipe. Hopefully I'll be the one to start the line.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
I am 26 (nearly 27), and have been smoking a pipe for almost 3 years. Got started because of my Dad, but I originally smoked cigars. The pipe just feels right. Smoking a pipe is just a relaxing good time. I get looks sometimes, but they seem to be curiosity rather than disdain. In my neighborhood I'm known as the pipe guy by all the kids, and I like it. As for pipes themselves, I love Italian pipes. I own a few Savinellis (one of which I won from this website's caption contest last year), a couple Morettis, and one Mario Grandi. I love'em all. I like a little flash to my pipes, and the Italians are certainly capable of that! That being said, right now $150-200 is about the top I'd ever spend for a pipe. I'd rather hunt eBay or etsy for some good deals on estate pipes, and save all the rest of the money I would have spent on a "$400 mid-grade pipe" on baccy. Tobacco is constantly being hit with increased costs, so I want it now. Those S.Bang pipes will be floating around long after tobacco is unobtainable. High grade or low, can't smoke a pipe without something to fill it.

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
23 here, started smoking pipes a little over a year ago. I have and old chest in my room from my great grandfather and on hot summer days you can smell an old sweet pipe tobacco smell. I finally got around to asking older family members about it and low and behold most of my older family members all smoke tobacco pipes. So I guess you could say the love of the hobby was "passed" down to me in a way. I have tried to turn a few of my friends onto it, but most are pretty casual and will only smoke when they come over and I let them use one of my pipes. It would be nice to have other like minded and aged people to smoke with.

Good Post
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.