PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Recent Posts

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainsousie

Preferred Member
Aug 1, 2012
I know this has been addressed before, but here goes.
I've seen a lot of listings on a certain auction site recently for Peterson meerschaum pipes. The problem with this is many of the meerschaum pipes labelled with a P are in fact Pioneer meerschaums. I would caution everybody who thinks about one of these to look at pipephil and make a positive ID before buying.
Now I'm not saying Pioneer meers are bad. I have one that I am quite happy with but if you're expecting a Pete, you might be disappointed.
Here is a pic of the pioneer stem/shank logo...

...and here are some Peterson logos.

Again, Pioneer meers are not bad but make sure you know what you're getting into.

ghost

Preferred Member
May 17, 2012
Interesting. Thanks for the info, this could easily have fooled me and I use pipephil often for estates.

jchaplick

Preferred Member
May 8, 2011
Wow, I never knew that, I have one of the few pioneer calabashes still in good condition, and I love it. But I have to say ive never thought about that. Good piece of advice!

photoman13

Preferred Member
Mar 30, 2012
Thanks for clearing that up. I have seen one or 2 wrongly listed on ebay I think.

captainsousie

Preferred Member
Aug 1, 2012
Happy to pass on the info guys. There is one more pioneer logo and a few more Pete logos on pipephil. A couple of the P logos look darn similar so it can be really confusing.

bayoubreeze

Oct 9, 2012
Thanks for the heads-up. I wasn't aware of pipephil, so it's nice to have that resource as I'm starting to build my collection.

pstlpkr

Preferred Member
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Captainsousie...

I know who you are... You're Sherlock Holmes!!!! :D

"I only mention it because you usually have a taste for all that is out of the common, no matter how trivial." Lestrade

"I dare call nothing trivial Lestrade" Sherlock Homles
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes The Six Napoleons
:puffpipe:

captainsousie

Preferred Member
Aug 1, 2012
@Lawrence. Thank you kind sir.
There was not one of them which I did not apply to the inquiry. And it ended by my discovering traces, but very different ones from those which I had expected.
-from The Adventure of the Crooked Man

Status
Not open for further replies.