PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
I recently asked you guys which tin of the 4 Frog Mortons I should open first, and the vote was for the Original Frog. As promised, here is my review. I must admit that when I popped the tin and gave it a smell and took a look, I had a preconceived notion in my own mind as to what this blend was going to taste like: A dark, full, robust Latakia mixture with a hint of Virginia. I did my usual ritual of measuring out a bowl worth of tobacco and letting it dry for a half hour before packing and lighting. The initial light yielded little flavor, just a subtle hint of wheat and raisin sweetness of the Virginia. The second light yielded a slightly fuller flavor, with just a bit of tang, but the wheat flavor was still prominent. The Latakia didn't really show up until a third of the way through the bowl, and it was not overpowering, just a subtle smokiness to round out the intensifying raisin sweetness. The further down in the bowl I got, the smokiness of Latakia became more pronounced but never took center stage, leaving the smoke with a full flavor that was very light and enjoyable, not too heavy and not too light, just like the tin description states. The blend burned very well and required few relights and smoked right down to the bottom, leaving a fine white ash. While my preconceived notions about this blend were not what I thought they would be, this blend really surprised me as a nice, light English blend, not lacking in flavor but certainly light enough to be smoked any time day or night. The flavor is not as full as some of the other English blends I smoke, but this is a nice, mild treat, and I think would be a good starter blend for someone looking to make the switch between aros and Englishes. Highly Recommended!

Jul 15, 2011
Have been wondering what it was like, might have to give it a try now
'Tis good stuff to be sure. Really defines, for me at least, what is considered an "all day smoke." Mild but tasty. Really great.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Sounds delish. But I do loath raisins with everyfiber of my being.
Hopefully it's just the sweetness of the raisin and didn't actually tastes like raisins....
Raisins!

Jul 15, 2011
But I do loath raisins with everyfiber of my being.
Hopefully it's just the sweetness of the raisin and didn't actually tastes like raisins....
LOL. Don't worry, its not like chawing on a big mouthful of raisins. I guess it's just a more subtle, fruity type of sweetness that good Virginia is known for. I think "wheat" flavor is a more apt description than raisiny. That fruity type sweetness only shows up every so often, but it is still there.

Jul 15, 2011
Don't forget to post it up...
Thanks for the reminder Lawrence. There are several blends that I am woefully behind on posting reviews on, as with several other things in life right now.

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
That was my biggest impression the first time I tried Frog Morton, how smooth and mild it is (almost too mild). Just looking at the tobacco sitting in the tin screams "LAT BOMB!" But its the furthest thing from it. Currently I'm working my way through a tin of "Across the Pond."

Jul 15, 2011
Just looking at the tobacco sitting in the tin screams "LAT BOMB!" But its the furthest thing from it.
I'm glad that someone else experienced that too. When I smelled it I thought, "Wow. This is gonna be hefty." Truth be told, when I didn't get hit with a big mouthful of wet campfire, I was a little disappointed, but once I got about a quarter of the way through the bowl, I realized how tasty it was.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I am a big fan of the "on the Bayou" version, but have never tried the original. Thanks for the review, I think it will go on my TAD list for a go.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Have been wondering what it was like, might have to give it a try now....dammit TAD

+1 on that jchaplick!
That's my kind of review novelist, I understand and can identify with all you've said.

FM, original, now has a place on my wish list.
Which one next sir, FMATP? hint hint wink wink

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Spot on review. It's been a while since the Frog was in my rotation, but all this talk has me working on restocking the old fav.

dburrows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2011
Great review, thanks for posting.
'Tis good stuff to be sure. Really defines, for me at least, what is considered an "all day smoke." Mild but tasty. Really great.
Yup, that's how I feel about OTB and OTT so I'm happy to hear the regular is as well. I guess that may be a major part of why I enjoy them - they are good smokes no matter when you have them and if your indecisive - they're perfect. They also have that liquid smoke texture about them that I really like.
Think I might be having OTB in a few minutes :puffy:

Jul 15, 2011
they are good smokes no matter when you have them and if your indecisive - they're perfect. They also have that liquid smoke texture about them that I really like.
I plan to load up a bowl of Froggy when I get home from work and contemplate the meaning of life, love, and all things tobacco. This is really some great stuff. :puffy:

atuukson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 14, 2011
Sweden
Had a jar whit frog morton that i had forgoten about, i can say after 6 month of age it smokes like dream yum-yum.

Status
Not open for further replies.