PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Cellar it!
I've smoked 30+ pounds of salmon in a day in the past. Stored it in Mason jars, then put it in the pantry as opposed to the cellar.
I keep my herring in the tins as opposed to moving it into jars. Again, the pantry not the cellar. The cellar is where I store body parts and I'm scared of cross-flavoring if I keep the fish down there also.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My experience with herring was in Amsterdam when it came into legal season in the spring and was available in restaurants and on the street and we enjoyed it for more than several meals. It was fresh and light and perfection. When it's good, it's sublime.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
My herring usually remains unaffected until around the 8 to 9 lb mark...then it starts to go along with the rest of my senses.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Here in Texas, it's all about the brisket.
Six pounds in a day is a good warm up exercise...
brisket-600x337.jpg

jay-roger.jpg

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Smoked Lake Trout at Russ Kendall's in Knife River MN, on the North Shore of Lake Superior. Don't forget to grab a sleeve of saltines.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That's the first sentence in this forum with 13 caps, all of them correct. A new record, although a bit of a red herring given the o.p..

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
Herring are awesome. They're about to start spawning on the west coast and you guys are getting me fired up. I'll be out there soon yarding 'em in with my throw net and filling my ice chest with grade A+ halibut, rockfish, and lingcod bait as well as keeping enough for at least a half dozen quart jars of pickled fillets. It's one of my favorite winter traditions. Here's a link to the recipe I use. https://www.monkeyfacenews.com/my-blog/2010/12/herring-herring-herring.html

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Mortar and pestle it and use it for snuff!
Seriously, herring is good. Smoked herring is good. I even like pickled herring. I draw the line at lutefisk...

Status
Not open for further replies.