Yet Another Blakemar Pipe To Add To The Rack.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Following on from my earlier purchases this week of two Blakemar Briars pipes I have made a third purchase. This is a rusticated large Calabash which in smooth form was to be one of the first two I purchased earlier in the week, however they had run out of smooth and only had the rustic version left hence me buying the Hungarian to go with my bent Bulldog.
Really rather wanting the large Calabash shape I bit my lip and ordered the rustic version despite not being a huge rusticated pipe fan. Well it arrived this morning and I have to say I am rather chuffed. This pipe is a whopper! With bowl internals of 22mm X 45mm and a huge capacity of 13 cubic cm and weighing in at 70g this is one heck of a pipe. I'm even impressed with the rustic finish which is two tone and having a smooth bowl top (sadly with scratch) and a smooth panel at the heel for the stampings. The perfectly fitting Vulcanite stem is slightly concave right at the bit end which is my preference.
One thing, having removed the stem I can see that there is plenty of 'meat' left inside the pipe for me to drill it to make it into a 'system' pipe which is precisely what I shall be doing if it turns out to be a gurgler...as large bent pipes tend to be. Only time will tell.
I shall be filling it up with Marlin Flake later in the day for the inaugural smoke :puffy:
1x16-600x400.jpg

2x17-600x400.jpg

3x13-600x400.jpg

4x11-600x400.jpg

5x8-600x400.jpg

Regards,
Jay.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
Nice looking pipe Jay and a very good choice of tobacco too.
You might just get that scatch to lift out with a damp rag and a hot knife. It will remove the carnauba wax finish from the area though.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm a proponent of rustic finishes. I value my blast and smooth finished pipes, but a well crafted and sometimes even eccentrically carved rusticated pipe can be a sturdy and durable item. This is a nice one. At this weight, bent is an extra good idea too. I really admire the straightforward simplicity of Blakemar pipes in general. Much to be said for that.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I also prefer sandblasts and rusticated pipes and that pipe fits the bill perfectly.

That is a beautiful pipe to my eye, congratulations on her acquisition!

I think textured pipes feel better in the hand and I love the look of them.

I have some smooth pipes in the fleet, but I find myself grabbing the textured pipes to smoke more often than my smooth pipes.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"You might just get that scratch to lift out with a damp rag and a hot knife."
Andrew, to be quite honest that minor scratch doesn't bother me too much, after all it is only there when I look at it :wink:
Seriously though, I may well make the effort to lose it and buff on a fresh coat of carnauba wax when the mood takes me.
I just had my second smoke with it (St. James Flake) and it's a great smoker for late evening news watching...I got two hour plus out of it tonight!
I shall be drilling a sump into the shank as it did indeed gurgle a little, I shall also put a taper in the inside end of the stem hopefully to alleviate this.
Regards rusticated and sandblasted pipes, if I had to choose it would be the latter but smooth is my overall preference.
All in all though, a lot of pipe for little outlay and the Yorkshireman in me likes that :puffy:
I shall be calling Mike yet again next week for another bent billiard :roll:
Regards,
Jay.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I heard a rumor a while ago that the business might be for sale. I hope not but grab them now while you can A lot of bang for the buck with these pipes.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Papieguy, it is not my impression.I talk to him from time to time, latest 16. Dec ( about sandblasts to come).

He has been my main supplier for the last 10 years or so.
Jørgen

Reactions: edger

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I heard a rumor a while ago that the business might be for sale."
That would be bad news if indeed it is true. I have to say though I have noticed his inventory on his website has been slowly reducing with apparently little new stuff being added to replace sold stock.
In his 9mm filter range he has only two pipes and the 'Champion' range there are none at all!
Regards,
Jay.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Jay, what nonsense.Never been so many new pipes on his website as in 2016.Latest primo dec. and among these 9

Sir Douglas briars which sold out before 2017.

He makes 9 mm, most to order and sometimes an extra one or two for stock.

He is aware of the missing sandblasts.Thats what we were talking about in december.

Remember,this is a one man business.
Jørgen

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Jay, what nonsense."
Jensen, with all due respect what I have observed with my own eyes on his website over the last two weeks is actual fact and not nonsense. In that short period of time his inventory has reduced considerably and that is a fact! As an example of this the Oom Paul I was looking at last week has now disappeared!
I appreciate it's a one man show but he can only sell what he advertises.
I shall be speaking with him tomorrow so shall ask if Papipeguy's rumour has any truth to it...fingers crossed it doesn't :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Jay, you do not understand the nature of his business.......and yes,I have bought pipes who was never on the

website.......and,I would never ask questions which are not of my business.
Jørgen

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Jensen, I was simply pulling you up for stating I was talking nonsense when I was referring to the diminishing stock levels on his website that I have witnessed myself over a period of two weeks. That is all I said.
I was not the member who mentioned the rumour of him selling the business.
Regards
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Well folks I have just got off the 'phone to Mike Billington (Blakemar proprietor) and he said quite categorically that he is not selling his business so that's that rumour squashed.
He did however say that due to premises rental costs he might at sometime move the business to his home.
So Blakemar Briars will still be around in the foreseeable future HURRAH!
BTW I just ordered yet another bent bulldog/Rhodesian :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

Reactions: edger
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Dear Mister Jay, after reading some positive reviews on This British manufacturer which briar quality and workmanship remain on satisfactory level(especially when comparing with current Peterson line of the same med priced pipes)I decided to have me a squat shaped bulldog(Luxury serie ) which had that very Old school British appearence in it so I couldn't resiste but now definitely no more pipes,yet awaiting two Savis to come from the States(inevitably those shall go into customs hands,of course)

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hello again Paul, I'm not actually aware of his 'Luxury' range of pipes so cannot pass comment. I can say however that of the three 'Aristocrat' range, which is his cheapest selection I am overall delighted and have ordered yet another. My only gripe is that my Hungarian burns rather hot. When I mentioned this to Mike he told me his Hungarian smokes hot too! Perhaps Jensen was lucky with his?
I do think that whatever pipe you ordered you should post pictures of it so as we can all share your pleasure :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Jay , mixed up, it was them De Lux line up,from which I ordered mine,

Yep, I try to post picture once I have learned the ropes to put picts into

(ps once again No baccy Shipping anywhere outside of Uk)

Friendly Yours, Paul

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
very nice pipe, it looks like you get more than a hours smoke with that one, I hope you enjoy it, I love the rustication on the pipe, I think it looks rather nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.