PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

justdafacts

Lurker
Oct 31, 2017
I just received a tin of "Ye Olde Signe" today. I smoked a bowl in my Baraccini pipe. I am not that impressed.

It does have a hint of citrus, but mostly tastes like dried grass - very smokey taste. It is not as sweet as other Virginia tobacco blends that I have tasted. It is smokeable (if that is a word), but for the money $14.00 (Tobacco + shipping), I would have been better going with another blend. Just my observation.

Dec 24, 2012
I hear you. O have some - not my favourite by any stretch - but give it a few years in the tin and just may be fantastic.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I just tried some for the first time. However, mine is aged from a forum trade. (Don't recall how long). I found it mellow but enjoyable.
Jar it up!
jay-roger.jpg

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
That's odd, it is very highly rated on tobaccoreviews.com. 3.9/4 actually is the highest score I have seen over there for a blend. I might suspect that there is a difference in expectation for you gentlemen. I had some US made straight Virginia blends and they are quite different from what we are used to in continental Europe. Never tried Ye Olde Signe, but it is on my purchase list should I find any given the Dunhill situation.

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
Madox, that's the old version. The re-release is 2.8.
OP, I was also not that impressed with YOS. Not a throw away blend, but it just didn't offer me much. Plenty of virginias of every kind eons better in my opinion.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
The old version and the new are cheese and chalk. More than once I have seen original versions on ebay bidded up over $350 per tin. That is how good (or how good it was perceived) was.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Dunno about the old version, but the new is much more what I think of as a "british" style of virginia, stoved and brown, with a bready/earthy sort of sweetness, subdued (contrast with your run-of-the-mill German virginia like Heinrich's Golden). I wasn't super impressed with Ye Olde Signe either because I like things a little sharper and sweeter. Buddy of mine loves YOS cuz he prefers that dark smooth fullness.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
Of the nine Dunhill tins I have, YOS is the one I dislike the most. I didn't finish my first bowl of it.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
YOS is one of my favorite Dunhill offerings. Close to Royal Yacht without the topping. It’s a malty Virginia, with a little grass. Packs a punch for a Virginia.

That's odd, it is very highly rated on tobaccoreviews.com. 3.9/4 actually is the highest score I have seen over there for a blend.

I think that I am more surprised that someone would want to align their tastes with popular consensus. There are many blends that many people talk about on here, that I just don't care for. I would be more shocked to find out that people agree with my tastes than not.

I don't even look at ratings... for anything. I prefer movies that most probably wouldn't, and anything main stream like those loser Star Wars sequel atrocities just don't interest me. Music, if it is on the Radio, I probably don't like it. Why would you want to be "mainstream" or "one of the sheep." Be your own thinker. Be a trend setter, not a follower.
My whole post maybe an over reaction to the quoted line. But, it inspired it... so to speak.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Cosmic I respect your opinion, but my view on life - probably a professional related issue, is that one needs to take into account benchmarks. Whether you are in accord with the benchmark or not, it's a totally different story. In my opinion tobaccoreview.com is a credible authority. That being said my personal financial resources are limited, thus I am inspired by benchmarks - I know what I like, and reviews help. I wouldn't spend money on a poorly rated blend just for the sake of being different.
"Be your own thinker" ... yeah sure, but often times being your own thinker on a beaten path may be a waste of time and resources. Pipe smoking in as far as taste for certain tobaccos is a subjective thing, for as many reasons we can think of, so one may argue that there is no such thing as a beaten path. But then again you have countless individual reviews of people smoking a blend and what their experience is ... so yeah, you have a ball park idea of what your are spending your hard earned buck on (or euro in this case).

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Madox:Yes, can't argue and even more with our current tobacco prices here in Eu,there's not much room for shots in the dark''

I think I might need to get a tine of this very Ye Old blend and Royal Yacht before they long gone, I remember some ten

years ago I was smoking the Royal Yacht mixture but that experience got the short end, Got badly nic hit,and

the following day passed that tin to my buddy,he smoked it thorough with no ill effect(he was like a chain cigarette

smoker back then)

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
There are some Dunhill cans that I have purchased over the past 6 months intended for trade bait or re-sell in a few years. I have a sleeve of Ye Old Sign specifically for that purpose.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Haven't tried it but I do like the tin art...if there is any tin art left. Lately more & more tins are arriving with "SMOKING KILLS"

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
Purchased a tin last year.Found it to smoke bitter right out of the tin.Maybe the PH level in my mouth was to blame,but still it tasted bitter.In 2016,I bought a tin of Royal Yacht to break in a new pipe.Great stuff.I still kept the YOS,mixed it in with some other tobaccos that needed help,then vacuum sealed them all together.In a couple more years,I may open the bag and try this concoction.

Status
Not open for further replies.