PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
img_1987-600x448.jpg

Here are two more yard sale finds. $5.00 for both. One is a Dr.G Royal Duke. The other just says "Regent" "Imported Briar". Both smoke well after I cleaned them but the Dr.G is a smaller bowl than I'm used to.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I didn't even notice the blue spade! I acquired a blue spade Grabow bulldog from an antique store a few years ago. Smokes great! Real vulcanite stem, not the cheap plastic stem they use these days!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
That Dublin looks very similar to a St. Regis pipe I have, are you certain it says Regent or cold it be possible that it’s also a St. Regis with the faded nomenclature?

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
It is so faint that it could say st. Regis.

I’m thinking it is. I have about 20 to 30 St. Regis pipes that we’re gifted to me and they are all wonderful smokers, I just love them. I believe they are Sasieni seconds but don’t quote me on that.
Either way ya slice it, good find!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have some Garbows with blue spade and some with white. What's the difference?
Blue-push stem filter pipe
Yellow-push stem stinger pipe
Orange-Westbrook stinger Adjustomatic
Black-seconds and rejects
Silver-Berwyck filter Adjustomatic
White-originally Adjustomatic but came to be standard

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Nice score! Congrats. The Grabow looks like a shape 12(small Apple) or 10(medium Apple). Embers did pretty good with the spades, the Berwyck line did have shiny oversized aluminum ones on a very small number but most were white. Here are some notes on blue spades from a man who knew better than anyone, the recently passed Tom Douglas
"Blue color from light to dark depending on supplied plastic sheeting used.
Blue spades used on all Duke filter lines from early 1960’s until 1993/4..
In the early 1960's, DG introduced the DUKE filter pipes, and they featured a blue spade, except for the Ajustomatic DUKEs which featured white spades. Probably about this time, DG also introduced push stem pipes using a metal cleaner insert, and these push stem pipes featured a yellow spade emblem.
So in the early 1960's DG was producing white spade Ajustomatic pipes, blue spade push stem filter pipes, yellow spade push stem metal cleaner pipes, and orange spade WESTBROOKs.
We were still using the colors in 1991. I guess they changed about 93/94. td"

Status
Not open for further replies.