PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Yet another pipe stand. I stole this image from ebay. A seller uses the stand to display his pipes.
A round of wood and a stick and some work. I am stealing the stick part to make a row of pipe stands for a shelf.
37319389074_23ee4598be_z_d.jpg

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
Sounds like a good idea! It's definitely got a cool look to it.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I think I will make some single pipe holders for display, and a long board with the sticks for a shelf unit. Cheap enough to try for sure.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Can't quite make out the name on the pipe. I have a few meers with the elephant or what ever it is.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
That's Kiko pipes from South Africa, I think. They mined meer there and it was not typically pure white and not quite as light, I think. I've got one of their Hillbilly models acquired in a group of estate cobs as the seller didn't seem to realize the difference. I love it! (probably because I got it for a song, but it really is a nice pipe)

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
It is indeed Kiko. They were made in Tanganyika which of course is now Tanzania. That logo I think isn't an elephant it's a rhinoceros though they did also have an elephant. I believe they also used a giraffe at some point.
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nifty rack, especially if you can get a somewhat smooth stain and finish on there and still have the strongly rustic look. I had a Two Cousins pipe rack made to look like weathered red barn wood, and they did it just right. They offered me an alternative, more conventional, rack as an alternative after they'd finished mine, but I wanted the barn wood look, and they appreciated my consistency. I really like the look.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Yes, this will work.
I selected an appropriate piece of firewood (high desert Juniper) that is suitably dry. The miter saw reduced it to slabs and a close by cottonwood donated a few small limbs. One hole in the base of the piece for the post and it is almost done.

I will need to pick up some green felt for the bottom of the stand, sand the 'bowl' (where the pipe will sit) to a more rounded shape and smooth that. Then a bath in tung oil for all of it (before gluing on the felt of course. I think I will fit the 'tenon' of the post into the 'mortise' of the base with a screw from the bottom. That way, these will ship nicely.
37341426464_28b76c1eee_k_d.jpg

37341426774_9b2db1bc88_k_d.jpg

38050762151_332b270ffd_k_d.jpg

The c-shaped hole is natural, the bowl for the pipe is the center of the log, which is nicely rotten, making for easy removal.

It is nice to have a beautiful and willing model to pose in the pics too. :D
I like this!
Well, looking at the pictures, it seems that the c-shaped hole will be a nice match holder for a few handy matches.
I have enough material to make a dozen or so of these without cutting any more bases. Hint... hint... :roll:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Very cleverly done but I wonder if you can't substitute green baize for a slice of cork tile....unless of course you already have the baize. I'm just thinking availability and cheapness being the Yorkshireman that I am :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
That's a consideration. Craft Felt is cheap here, but I may be able to get some cork sheet locally. I like that idea, but it is fairly expensive on ebay. I will keep an eye out for cork sheet at a reasonable price.
I will trade you a pipe stand today for a Yorkshire pudding on Tuesday. On second thought, the postage would kill us both. 8O

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I will trade you a pipe stand today for a Yorkshire pudding on Tuesday. On second thought, the postage would kill us both"
What a lovely thought, alas spoiled correctly as you describe.
Can't beat a good Yorkshire pud soaking up the beef gravy :puffy:
A pack of ten cork floor tiles over here would be about £6, likely cheaper in the States!
Regards,
Jay.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Floor tiles! I bet Home Depot has those. Will look. That would add class to the thing too. Thanks!

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I picked up some dry twigs for the supports today. I think I can make about 10 of these now. I also got my wood lathe moved into the shop so I can start playing with some pipe work. One of these days, I will have a shop again, complete with tools.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Update
The pipe holder is finished. I got the base installed, the whole thing sanded and Tung oil finish applied. I found a thin sheet of composite board in the garage. It works great for the bottom of the stand. This is not bad for a bit of firewood I think. The upright is removable for shipping.
38217562196_619f4c603b_k_d.jpg

26496130839_c8472b2f26_k_d.jpg

24401358738_97ae0a92d1_k_d.jpg

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Nice work nevadablue and davet

I have a couple hunks of cured aspen and plum that I wanted to use for stands. I think you inspired me to get motivated.

Status
Not open for further replies.