PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2011
xikar-scribe-chrome.jpg

Review is for a XIKAR Scribe Pipe Lighters~Chrome..I'm enjoying this new pipe lighter; adding to an IM Old Boy, and many Zippo lighters ;-)
The Scribe lighter has a good solid feel with some weight to her. I wish the butane tank was larger, you do go through a full-tank "fast", but does have a tank window. Also enjoy the top dial for adjusting the flame, very easy to dial-in desired results. The angled flame is perfect for spark'in up the bowl and with the pen-like design, keeps hand a good distance from flame and gives a clear sight to bowl/bacci (especially in the early AM when I still only have one eye open, at least until the coffee and Lady Nic "kick-in"
My order of preference;
1. IM Old Boy ( Nothing I have used comes close, but it does come at a price; $100-$160)

2. Xikar Scribe ( A nice choice and you can find them for around $29.00 w/lifetime warranty)

3. Zippo ( Solid design, enjoy using them and you can score one for under $20.00)
I hope this review helps anyone thinking about getting a Scribe

Jul 12, 2011
You got it Roth, anytime. I hope with the flint-ignition & lifetime warranty I have no issues with it. I'm pretty tough on lighters, which is why I went right for an IM Old Boy & Zippo. I can't stand such a simple function like "making fire" being such a royal PITA ;-)
Now the one thing that might be an issue is the "pull-apart" action to start the flow of fuel, this might

be the area of breakdown on this model...time will tell :puffy:

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
I'm really interested to see what you think of this Xikar in six months.

+1 on that. I went through three Xikar pipeline lighters before I got tired of sending them back under warranty. They all worked flawlessly for about a month, then they would quit. Garbage. I sincerely hope that you have better luck with the Scribe.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Now the one thing that might be an issue is the "pull-apart" action to start the flow of fuel, this might

be the area of breakdown on this model...time will tell
Exactly. I used to love my Scribe, but after a few months it quit working. Xikar has great customer service though...I returned it and they promptly sent me a new one. Unfortunately, it too quit working after a few months. I was not hard on them, and handled them carefully according to the instructions...also used premium Xikar butane.
To Xikar’s credit, I inquired if they could provide a better lighter, and upon returning the second Scribe they sent me one of their “Resource” models ... an upgrade w/o any extra charge. It is very different from the Scribe, but has worked fine for several months now w/o issues. Hope you have better luck with yours...I originally wanted the Scribe due to its unique design...seemed ideal for pipe lighting.

Jul 12, 2011
Thanks for the heads up guys...will keep everyone posted on it...like I said I'm tough on lighters so if it is going

to fail it will be within the next month or so :twisted:

vabriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 24, 2012
Good looking lighter and I like the length of it for getting the hand away from the bowl. Thanks for the info!

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
Brian64's post reminded me that I should tell the rest of the story in order to be fair to Xikar. After going through three Pipeline lighters I too asked Xikar for a Resource as a replacement, which they promptly provided. It has worked flawlessly so far for the three months I've had it. I should not have left the impression that Xikar lighters are garbage, but in my experience the Pipeline is. As for their customer service, it is indeed great. They just need to make some better products.

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
It's true I use it sparingly, as I have several other lighters, but my "Scribe" has worked well for two years now. I find the length of it helps with lighting up, especially in the car, where I can avoid burning my fingers!

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I have had my Scribe for nearly two years and it is still working fine. Like all butane lighters I have had it doesn't do well in the wind. And I have to remember to purge the air out of it with every fill because the reservoir is so small. Other than that it has no problems. It is also easy to carry around in a shirt pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.