PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
Howdy all,
I just received a new Pipeline Lighter by Xikar... my first "real" lighter. Been using bics forever, and decided to just buy something to last awhile. And there's no way I'm forking out for an Old Boy so just let's get that out of the way (as much as I'd love too).
Anyway, I filled it up with Xikar Butane, and replaced the flint with a zippo flint. It keeps getting a really low flame no matter how much or how high I adjust it which is really annoying, and also every now and then it will pop and flicker crazy flame like when a lighter starts to run out of fuel or you turn a gas stove off... it's kinda scary when it's right up to your face :) So anybody have any suggestions?

Is there a way to fix it, or should I just send it back in for a new one? Also, how exactly do you fill it properly, like how to know it's fully filled and stuff?

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Bleed it completely empty. Then refill it. Chilling the gas container and the lighter will also help some.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Xikar is one of the best companies with whom to do business. If the problem persists send it back to them. All of their products have lifetime guarantees. I've had issues with cigar lighters and they've replaced them with no questions. I have also sent them cigar cutters for rehoning and they have sent me new ones.

Have no fear; they'll make things right.

collindow

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
See, this is why I don't trust butane lighters. Those things are insane. And I mean insane as in the lighter itself is mentally unbalanced, and wants to hurt us all.

flylot

Might Stick Around
Dec 17, 2010
Ohhhhh, I think someone has been drinking their bong water......
.....never mind, I still have to find a goat to sacrifice.... Aries indeed!

pipetrucker

Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
I tried that lighter a couple of years ago. I found it to be unreliable. The ignition system was especially bad. I wound up getting an Old Boy and have had great luck with it.
I agree about making sure you bleed off the pressure before filling your lighter. It makes a big difference. Good luck, perhaps yours will work out better for you than mine did. I know some people really like them.

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
thanks everyone for your advice... I've tried everything; gonna keep it a few more days and see if maybe it just "breaks in". Otherwise, I'm returning it to be fixed or changed out. I love the style, but I could never bring myself to get an old boy, so I'll just cross my fingers and hope this one works out!

Status
Not open for further replies.