PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Great pix! Wonder if we could have gotten the various government representatives together over a few bowls if the whole mess could have been avoided. Sure as hell the grunts on the ground for both sides would rather have been smoking at home on the front porch.

Aug 1, 2012
Those are some amazing pictures. That they are gathered in one place is even better. Thanks for posting.

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
I love the images of the RAF, they are definitely doing it in style.
Finnish_soldier_smoking_pipe_Jan1940

Finnish Resistance during the winter war
Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1980-077-09A_2C_Norwegen_2C_deutscher_Soldat_2C_norwegischer_Offizier

German Soldier talking to a Norwegian Officer
ppsh41_pipe

German Infantryman on the Russian front
4804444134_e05a00f81c.jpg

3rd SS Division Totenkopf snipers Russian Front
pile_1774139b.jpg

7th Armoured Division "Desert Rats" Officer
images

Two British soldiers smoking a pipe after what they have seen somewhere in Italy (Concentration Camp).
Gebirgsjager-06.jpg

Gebirgsjäger enjoying pipes in the Mountains.
tumblr_mf3wio4wS51qa38yao1_500.jpg

More Gebirgsjäger enjoying pipes (apologies for this ones size)

May 31, 2012
Nice thread Kashmir, I like how you used Oppenheimer as the final pic there.
A few to add...
jOBL76j.jpg

RAF pilot Douglas Bader, his story is very much worth looking up.

jyIUdWe.jpg

dhhEjvb.jpg

New Zealand Army sergeant
gGodb3Q.jpg

Finnish Army General Kurt Martti Wallenius
PQXHwhH.jpg

Japanese soldier, unknown info?
ZanX1qG.jpg

In 2008, a complete Sturmgeschütz IV was discovered under the bed of Rgilevka River near Grzegorzewo in west part of Poland. It sunk in the river on 19 or 20th January 1945 while crossing it over the ice. It's in almost perfect condition assuming all those years down there. The turret was taken away almost 2 years before the actual body was taken out.
While exploring the contents of vehicle, elements of a body of a mechanic/panzerman were found. Human remains were cared for as well as appropriate legal service was called. Large quantities of personal and weapon gear were also found inside.

iiEaKmY.jpg

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Yes, thanks gents, for contributing. Outstanding photos, and background captions, as well. This period of history has long held my attention. Pipes and tobacco provided the simple pleasures of home for the men in the field, lending whatever measure of solace to those forced to face the unthinkable.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I had no idea General George (Patton) was a pipe smoker -- be darned. So many of these guys were

living right on the edge. They needed any cheer they could corner. My dad was a minesweeper skipper

during World War II, chain smoking a pipe, always Granger as his tobacco. To maintain the family "dynasty,"

I signed on for a minesweeper, as a lowly radioman not an officer, during the Vietnam War. Wooden ships,

and men of steel, and all that. A few cigars for me at the time, no pipes; in retrospect, it would have been

fun to pull out a briar when "the smoking lamp was lit."

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Notice the billiard is the hands-down favorite in the photos, mostly straight billiards. A straight

billiard was always my dad's thing. He didn't rotate. He'd smoke them daily, all day, until the

pipe split, and then start a new one. They lasted a surprisingly long time, usually more than a

year. He did quit cold turkey in his sixties, and lived to be 89 licensed to drive without glasses;

I took him to his final driver's license eye exam, when I was in-town from out-of-state. He was

up and around and alert until about a month before he died.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Great photos Kashmir, especially the the one of Oppenheimer, that man is one of my biggest influences in life.

~Ron

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
MSO489 - Patton was an avid pipe smoker but mainly briars, the large cobb was a gimmick for the photographers and crowd so they could capture the pipe.
Thanks to all for the great pictures, keep them coming,

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.