Would You Join An Adventure/Back Country Pipe Club?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

3 Fresh Bill Shalosky Pipes
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
9 Fresh Winslow Pipes
12 Fresh BriarWorks Pipes
2 Fresh Kent Rasmussen Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
I just came back from a week in the Scottish Highlands. For one afternoon of this week long, wife-and-I vacation, we were able to meet up with a few members of The Kearvaig Pipe Club on their Annual General Meeting. Their club meets not monthly for a couple hours in tobacconists or smoke-friendly pubs (niether exist up there), but for 3-4 days of pipe smoking, drinking, and tomfoolery in remote, hike-in wildness huts set up along long distance walking trails throughout the wild country.
Now, I only intersected with the meeting for a few hours on their second day, so I couldn't tell you how badly they ultimately smelled or how hard they walked between huts, but I can tell you that they were well provisioned, friendly, and in great spirits for the effort they were undertaking. Especially considering how much liquid weight they were packing in.
In the time we were able to spend with them, I became absolutely inspired by this idea of a pipe smoking wilderness adventure club. Surely there is a remote, hike-in only cabin or lodge in the Smokies, the North Woods, the Cascades, the Rockies, or the Desert Southwest at the end of a few miles of rugged trail where 5-10 reasonably fit persons could smoke pipes and sip from packed-in hooch before settling into bags or bunks for the night.
Before I start really digging around for one, though - a quick survey: how many folks here are of a mind and in such a shape as could undertake this? Could a half dozen of us get to the same part of the country for 4-6 days in the fall (after tourists and bugs have died down)? If a plurality of those interested are in one region, logistics might get easier, but I don't really know. I could get away with a long weekend almost any time of year and own gear to camp between about 30-90°f. Connecting flights to small airports and rental car drives push on that time, of course, but I am willing to make it work.
I will remind you all, tho I doubt I need to, that Earnest Shackleton and nearly all our favorite explorers and naturalists were pipe smokers. Let's strap some boots on and have a bowl somewhere daring in their tradition.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I live in northern Illinois and my son and I enjoy backpacking in The Yellow River State Forest in northeast Iowa (3.5 hours from home). We go in the spring or fall...cooler, no bugs, less people on the trails. We've been there several times and still enjoy it. Two nights of sleeping in a tent, filtering water and pooping in the woods is my limit though.
To answer your original question...it sounds like a great idea, but for me personally, 4-6 nights is to long and I would not be willing to spend that much time traveling. I hope this works out for you...good luck.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

No question, join the club. It's one of the best clubs in the world. I thoroughly enjoy their newsletters.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
This sounds phenomenal. But then again, I used to do 2 week back country canoe trips. The problem will be that any hike-in hut system that I’ve been to has a strict no-smoking policy.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Scloyd: What I'm thinking wouldn't be more than two nights on trail. The long weekend element of it for me would be the travelling, assuming it was far from home. A cabin or lodge would allow a later date with less gear/risk than tent camping. The trouble in this case with state or national parks is that they are all nonsmoking. We would probably need to find one on private lands and make sure the owner knew what we'd be up to and ok with it.
We live in Chicago and love the bluffs of the Mississippi river valley. I could look at airbnb's in the Galena or Savannah area, but doubt any are truly hike-in.
Mothernature: My wife and I were both welcomed into the club. You might even see us in the next edition of Briars and Bothies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
As a younger man, maybe twenty years ago, this would have been my thing. Now not so much.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Here's some cheap snaps from my phone of the approach to and relative paradise within a "Wilderness Hut" in Scotland.
img_20180926_150744415-600x337.jpg

img_20180926_155654680-600x337.jpg

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
I wouldn't. That would be "busman's holiday" for me. You "city folk" do have it hard. :puffpipe:
We could switch places if you like. I'll hang out in your wilderness for a coupla days and you can come live in my Chicago Condo. Take a 35 minute el train ride to Iwan Ries downtown and pay 15 bucks for a place to smoke a pipe free from harassment for an afternoon...

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
MY wife and all her family were Chicagoans. Wouldn't trade places for a million dollars. I meant what I said about "city folk." You have my sympathy, especially those of you who prefer rural but have to live where the jobs are.. And, costs me three days and over $6000.00 whenever I go to Iwan Ries. I try to catch a game a Wrigley when I do though.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I just ran accross this post a few months too late. However, I too enjoy fall hikes and winter snowshoeing. Spring and summer in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado attract too many tourists and they turn serene quiet places into a loud trash pit. This will be my first year smoking and snowshoeing and I plan to do both on Christmas Day! Add me to your list and let me know when and where to meet!

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
There are forests in Scotland, but not that bit of it. Those snapshots are from the Isle of Skye. That particular Bothy is called Lookout.
Milehigh: it's never too late! Keep an ear open for smoker-friendly private property to rent up in the rockies. Denver is easy to get to and I have family there. Snowshoeing up to a mountain cabin with a fireplace and a view sounds like a great beginning to a day that ends with a pipe, a drink, and some new friends.
Update because this got revived: There are such things as smoke-friendly lodges/cabins/houses for rent in the world, particularly around the Smokey Mountains. So far, though, I've only seen them in town or right off the road. I'll keep searching for ones that are hard to get to, because I want to earn my smokey reward, but am not opposed to doing some day hiking out of an easier location if that's the only way this can come together.
If anyone's family or friends has a back country hunting lodge we could use after or in between seasons, PM me.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Those snapshots are from the Isle of Skye.
Some pics of a monument in memory of some settlers from the Isle of Skye that is in my neck of the woods. Very sad story and the site was lost for years. A nice day trip to visit this, off the beaten track and lots of wilderness. Thought I'd share as it's quite unknown even in this area.
scotch-sett-4-600x450.jpg

scotch-sett-3-600x450.jpg

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

It's good to hear that yourself and your wife have joined the club. I imagine it being the best pipe club in the world? I hope you have some fun adventures. Thanks for the pictures of you both enjoying your pipes. You make a great couple! :puffpipe: :puffy: :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.