Would It be a Good Idea Adding Cinnamon to a Blend?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
I'm smoking some 1Q, and had an idea of adding cinnamon to it. I would either place a small piece of stick in the jar, or a pinch of ground cinnamon. I wanted to know if it's safe to do.
Thanks for checking this thread out. I look forward to any thoughts you may have.

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
The cinnamon definitely works in H&H Caramel Apple Pie so you may get a decent result with 1Q. Maybe try a test bowl but I like the idea of putting sticks in with the baccy better than powder.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Tobacco may pick up the flavor of a cinnamon stick placed in a jar, but I think it would be a very slow process;

and in any event may not translate to the palate when the tobacco is smoked. My initial guess would be that oil

of cinnamon sprayed on the leaf in the correct measure is the way to go. But then you'd need a carrier, like alcohol,

and the amateur is starting to get in way over his head.
As for dusting ground cinnamon on the tobacco, it's just the bark of a certain tree, and I don't imagine that smoking it

is any more harmful than tobacco itself -- but again, there's no reason to believe that burning cinnamon will taste like

the unburnt spice.
Being of a like mind with guitar guy, but wary of my history of failure in tweaking existing blends, you can imagine

my delight upon hearing that Russ Ouellette has already created a cinnamon flavored smoke, and it's a home run!

Here's what Russ has said about his Angler's Dream.
Since chocolate is very compatible with Burley and Honey has been used often in tobacco blends, I had a start. I wanted a little more of an old fashioned “zing”, so I turned to cinnamon for that element. I knew that the honey and chocolate would be pleasant and noticeable in the room note, but that the cinnamon would have more impact on the flavor.
I enjoy this stuff all the time. It's a wonderful codger style smoke with high quality leaf. I like it better than my beloved P.A.

guitarguy86

Jul 6, 2012
I just tried it, and it was okay. As I don't have any sticks at the moment, I just took a few bowls worth and added a couple small pinches of ground cinnamon. It was okay. Not superb, not bad. For now, I'll leave the experimentation to the professionals. I've never tried a blend from Russ Ouellette that I didn't like. I'll have to check out Angler's Dream sometime!
:puffy:

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
Now that I think about it, a couple drops of cinnamon oil diluted in a neutral spirit, spayed on and allowed to dry sounds like the way to go. That cinnamon oil is potent stuff!

guitarguy86

Jul 6, 2012
I have a bunch of oils in storage somewhere. I think cinnamon is one of them.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think most of the bakery and aromatic spices like cinnamon, mint, clove, cardamum, etc., are available as oils.

Here's a link to a website that gives more information: Essential Oils and Spices.

"How about a bergamot and jasmine flavored smoke?"

"Uh, ya, with a pinch of fennel, please." :lol:

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
I have a bottle of clove oil I save for toothaches and putting sick fish out of their misery. That stuff is so numbing that a drop on the gums makes it difficult to swallow for about 30 minutes. Reminds me of the movie "The Marathon Man" every time I see it sitting there. "Is it safe?"... We used to buy the cinnamon oil and make hot toothpicks when we were young. Definitely on my grocery list now!

Jul 12, 2011
Western WA
Depends on the cinnamon. Only Sri Lankan cinnamon is declared food safe in the US. There is a toxic substance called coumarin is found in high levels in some non-Sri Lankan cinnamons. THANSHERS AROMATIC PIPE TOBACCO s a safe example for sure. You can read about it here: http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/pipe-retailer-forum/293929-amazing-tobacco-sri-lanka.html.
Read about coumarin health risks and a solid review by the University of Mississippi here:http://www.nation.lk/edition/business-tbl/item/17876-lankan-cinnamon-holds-massive-potential.html
and read my blog post here:

http://briarmeditations.blogspot.com/2013/05/cinnamon-caontaining-coumarin-still.html

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Many flavorings are added to tobacco blends, I know. But I'd be careful about trying this at home. I had

a holiday blend that smelled terrific but burnt like mustard gas. It smelled of cinnamon, pine, holly, I don't

know what all. When you burn things, they produce new chemicals that may not be something you want in

your mouth.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
Very informative post, bornagainbriar.
I do some work with a Chinese herbalist and acupuncturist, and have discovered that charring (burning) certain herbs vastly alters their effects. For example, burnet root is usually used in Chinese medicine for its cooling (yin) effect, but when charred, becomes a heating (yang) agent (I'm using it to alleviate some of my chronic gut problems).
For this reason, I would advise exercising caution in adding powdered herbs or spices directly to tobacco to be burned; I think that by far the safest alternative would be to add a cinnamon stick to a jar of tobacco and let it add its flavouring over time. Also, I'm not 100% sure that various "oils" have the actual spice in them; it could just as well be similar-smelling chemicals.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I wouldn't use cinnamon itself because it's a tree bark, and burning will also add the flavor of the fiber to the smoke. The flavoring that are typically used are made from oils. In this case it may be labeled as oil of cinnamon or oil of cassis. You'll want to add it to something alcohol-based as it will act to emulsify the oils.
Russ

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
You could try Peter Stokkebye Cinnamon mixed with 1Q. Never had it, just happened to see it in my browsing. My TAD is flaring up again, even tho I just filled up my little cellar. Gonna have to wait :-(

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
When working with the late Craig Tarler of C&D on Captain Bob's Blend and Captain Bob's Ship's Mate Blend, we did a lot of experimentation with aromatic food grade sauces that are highly concentrated and applied to tobacco in miniscule amounts. But, these sauces are very expensive and highly concentrated so as to not over dampen tobacco. Minimum orders from the companies that make these sauces can be as much as $500. And, many of the sauces are $100 for a half gallon. I know because I have a closet shelf filled with numerous aromatic sauces.
There are many food-grade liquid flavorings available at your local grocery store in the spice section. While these flavorings are not nearly as expensive or as concentrated as the professional stuff, they can be effective in amateur/home flavoring of blending tobaccos. I have had success with liquid cinnamon from the grocery store and it is also available from online sources as well. They are safe and fun to work with.
In Captain Bob's Blend, a combination of six professional-grade flavors are combined to make the aromatic sauce. Only one-half ounce of this stuff is applied to an entire pound of tobacco! Yet, it is powerful and makes my blend an interesting and unique light-English aromatic.
Just be careful not to over-soak your tobacco with the store-bought stuff. And, only apply it to blending tobacco that has not already been flavored or treated with Propylene Glycol.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
I'm not sure of your point, lord. There are two methods of professional tobacco toppings. One is "from the natural fruit" and the other is "chemical reproduction of the natural fruit". Both are food-grade and preserved with alcohol or propylene glycol. Keep in mind that what we are talking about here is "miniscule" amounts such as a half of a "shot" glass to a pound of tobacco.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Best is to stick with good tobaccos with as few dressings as possible; though I do like my

aromatics in addition to English and Balkans. Good tobacco has plenty of flavor. My

favorite aros are Virginias where you can barely taste the "flavoring." Peterson Irish Whisky,

for example.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
Too much cinnamon will ghost a pipe like you wouldn't believe. I've only tried one blend with cinnamon, House of Calabash's Lady Red's Rum. I think it is intended as a Christmas blend and it smells like a cross between a spiced rum cake and a cinnamon broom.
I'm interested in hearing what kind of results you had.

Status
Not open for further replies.