Would I Be Right To Assume This Is A Meer?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It is in pretty rough shape! The scratches would tend to indicate meerschaum....
s-l1600.jpg

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
Thanks for posting the pic. I can never figure out how to do that on my tablet. Finding a way to copy the image link is the problem...
Yep, pretty rough, cant wait to discover what the bowl looks like, and why the same side of the stem is showing no matter what side of the bowl is facing me.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
Never having owned a meerschaum pipe before; can the scratches be buffed out somehow? What about sanitizing and cleaning - same as a briar?

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
If you look closely it is not the same side of the stem. One side of the stem looks like it has a chunk missing out of the button and quite possibly a hole through the stem.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Never having owned a meerschaum pipe before; can the scratches be buffed out somehow? What about sanitizing and cleaning - same as a briar?
Do not use alcohol on the meerschaum itself when sanitizing it. Only use alcohol on the stem. As for the scratches... those are just part of the character of the pipe.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If you have plenty of material to work with, you can sand away surface imperfections. A high risk operation, but for a few bucks, why not?

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Yep, that's a block meer pipe and an old, rare one, to boot. You can certainly sand out to scratches and here's a link to a fellow that did so with a very similar pipe: https://rebornpipes.com/2014/04/17/truth-and-conjecture-about-a-vintage-kaywoodie-meerschaum-robert-m-boughton/
If it was mine I would leave it cosmetically as is. The pipe has had at least 70 years to accumulate it's scars, after all. I'd be surprised if you looked quite as fine as the pipe with a similar amount of wear and tear. Wabi Sabi and all that, cheerio.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
It's definitely a meer and while you can wet sand it down to remove any scratches make sure that you inspect the pipe very carefully. Measure chamber width and depth and compare it to the overall size so you know what kind of bowl thickness you have to work with. Anything less then a 1/4" and I would leave it alone and enjoy the caricature of an old pipe. If there is a choice between some battle scars and sanding through the chamber wall I think I'd live with the scars. lol

Just remember...... go slow, take your time...... Material comes off easy and can't be replaced!!

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
I can't wait to get it! As a bonus, I got a message that the seller refunded $8.25 in shipping, bringing my total cost to under $12. It would be awesome if the stinger was intact.
I have filled tooth holes with black CA glue and charcoal. What would I use on this color stem?

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I have filled tooth holes with black CA glue and charcoal. What would I use on this color stem?
I would use CA glue mixed with finely ground amber. (Not the chick, the rock.)

Status
Not open for further replies.