PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

duncan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
So I was bored and did a little homework. For a normal guy using one of our great advertisers on this site. It would cost around 12 dollars a month per person in the lower 48, that is covering tobacco, shipping, and shipping materials. The big issue is the lack of a Tobacco license. Nothing personal I just am not down with the ATF knocking at my door. Just some food for thought for a retailer wanting to pick up the ball.

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
For a flat Fee someone can buy a year membership where they get sent (1) Tin of a different tobacco to try out every month.
So an annual membership would cost $144 (appx.)? That could buy a lot of pipe tobacco upfront. Tobacco of your choice, rather than something picked out for you by a retailer. Mind you, that $144 pays for the tins and the shipping costs and doesn't include really any kind of meaningful profit margin for the retailer; profit that would in turn pay for the time and materials it would take to put this together.
Additionally, it would take hundreds of members to cover the costs to get something like this off the ground. At around 25 members or so it would be tough.
It's a cool idea, but these are probably the reasons we haven't seen a club like this in awhile.

duncan

Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
Let's say 150 for an even number. That is 12.50 a month. Now I was using retail prices from a retailer which is already marked up from what the actual retailer pays. Now granted it would not be a big profit margin from the actual club membership itself, but now factor in 25% of the people really liked a blend and ordered a few more. Then it is the return business you are getting. Also I think saying about 25 people is selling yourself short. Granted I do not see thousands knocking at your door, but I would be surprised if a hundred wasn't to far off.
Hey this was food for thought and a hope for a retailer to offer a service to the budding new Pipesters. No harm no foul, I understand treading into these waters could be tricky. I will not give up hope there or other fish in the seas.

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
Like I said, I think this is a cool idea. And I think it's awesome that pipe smokers would put their heads together to come up with this kind of stuff. Maybe something like this is more practical than we imagine? It's certainly not been dismissed without some thought over here and we certainly haven't closed ourselves off from any further discussions regarding a club like this. I just thought it was only fair to mention our thoughts on the matter.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
You know, well something is being worked out, there is no reason we, as forum users, can't take the bull by the horns and organize something...if someone were to post a link to say, H&H Ambassador (or any other tobacco, I just picked the first one my mouse landed on) a couple of weeks before the end of the month, then anyone who wishes to participate could pull the trigger...the thread containing the "Tobacco of the Month" link becomes the review thread.
Certainly, not as simple as simply receiving a random tin in the mail every month, but not really all that difficult, either...also, a much better chance at those of us not in the US lower 48 to join in the fun, since shipping rates would make flat-rating something like this hell on the etailer, and of course, all us Canucks want to play, not to mention our friends across the pond(s).

duncan

Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
I respect your thoughts and am happy you chimed in. That shows that the ideas do get to the retailers. Also I understand a club like this would take planning and a good look at logistics. I think folks would be happy if it was offered once a year for say Christmas. I think that would also take alot of logistical burden off the retailer. I can see where if it was a service offered all the time it would be a nightmare trying to predict what stock you would need to have on hand.

duncan

Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
Schimtz that is a great idea! To go one step kinda further and help out the site as a whole. The reviews can be put straight on LTR then we go back to the thread and link it over. I would like to hear what people think and maybe start this June. Run with that ball Schimtz! :clap:

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
I would totally be on board if it ever happens with any etailer. could the etailers use bulks to reduce costs? Just my thinking if tins cost too much to ship individually like say a few ounces of x y or z. Would really help the newbs out like me.

duncan

Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
Really the skies the limit. Just matters how far the retailer wants to go with it. I agree bulk would be easier and more cost efficent.

Status
Not open for further replies.