PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

youngpiper1

Might Stick Around
Jun 6, 2013
At the factory (they started working me but i've been temporary laid off till they find something better suited for me i.e an automatic machine opens up) they give us a 30 minute lunchbreak, and two ten minute breaks. What is a good pipe that will give a 5-15 minute smoke?

youngpiper1

Might Stick Around
Jun 6, 2013
I have a cob, and it takes more then 15 minutes to smoke ??? Are you talking about the smallest miniature cob they sell?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd recommend one of the three Iwan Ries Exclusive compacts at their website. These are stamped Iwan Ries, made by Benton,

of good Algerian briar. They are small Group 3 or so, and you can easily pack them 1/2 or 2/3 for a shorter smoke. I recommend

Five Brothers for a lot of smoke in a short time, but anything will work, except Cavendish might smoke too slow. Just go to

iwanries.com, then pipes, then Iwan Ries Exclusives. I think these are less than $40. I especially like the bent billiard.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I like a cob for work, so I don't risk any of my better pipes, lol. But a Stanwell featherweight might be good, as they are group 2 bowls, I believe.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
I've got a MM Pony Express that'll smoke for 30 minutes packed with a flake. Even packed half way I end up dumping some if I smoke it on my "smoke breaks". I've heard Five Brothers is loaded with Nicotine and burns faster than a bat outta hell, so I should probably look into that.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
Just don't pack your pipe all the way up as others have said. A bowl no bigger than .625 diameter and no more than 1.50 deep is my preference for taste with the tobacco I smoke. A small pinch is about a 5 minute smoke. A half flake stuffed and smoked slow is about 30 minutes. After a while with cake build up, you'll get shorter and shorter smokes, though...

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Picked up a miniature Meer from Royal Meerschum a while ago. It has become my go-to pipe for a quick smoke. Think with a hard carrying case they're 20 bucks.

mannish

Lurker
Aug 10, 2013
timely subject today was my first day to have a job in some time and first time since I was a kid to work an hourly job with RULES. It's like jail. So today I used a Ranger 339 but seeing that time is limited I will use my small Czech or get another cob. I may use the Mr brog bullldog but it hasn't arrived yet.
I HATE working already

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The cob and the small meerschaums sound like ideal coffee break pipes to me.

Pocket-friendly briars might fill the bill also, like the Sav 320 shape.

002-033-12644.jpg

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I go with a knock around $20 Rosewood pipe I picked up from Rohan Pipes. Smokes a bit hot sometimes but otherwise draws just fine. I just pack a bowl in for the day before I head out the door.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I forgot, I also have a Tom Thomb mini-briar. The bowl is not much bigger around than a 3-in-1 pipe tool, but it smokes well and is good for a 10min smoke. They can be found on the estate market for ,usually, less than $30. I gave $14 for mine at an antique store and I'm very pleased. It's not a Peterson or Savenelli, but it does what it's meant to do very well.

trailspike48

Jan 15, 2013
I picked up a pair of pipes that have a small bowl at an antique shop. Both have bowls smaller than my no. 2 Dunhill. Both are ideal for short smokes. If you check out local antique shops you might find a similar pipe.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
+1 that pipes don't have to be filled to the top.
The only thing about those little hardwood MM pipes...my brother just bought one and the draft hole is way high.

Status
Not open for further replies.