PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I'm sure it'll be fun to spend that gift certificate and nice looking trophy too. Strong work!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Congratulations! I was right!
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/second-tamper-down-zebrawood-this-time#post-1270054

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Congratulations! I was right!
Thanks! You could be on to something, Duane, but I'll definitely need more practice and some more tools. Doing what I did for this one was really fun, but I don't know if I can see doing that an awful lot.
I'm sure it'll be fun to spend that gift certificate and nice looking trophy too. Strong work!
Oh I'm hoping so...Would be just a drop in the pond toward one of the Tsuge pipes they had in their case, but maybe I can find something decent and put it towards another great pipe. They had an awesome Tsuge Volcano in there going for around $3,000. Although I have been contemplating putting it all towards tobacco...decisions, decisions....
Thanks all! I really appreciate it!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
And you well deserved it. I did admire that pipe when you posted it before the stain went on. Congratulations. Not bad on the slow-smoking too.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Thanks MSO, I'm enjoying it too. It's not a bad smoker, once you get past the early stages of briar surface burn. Been breaking it in with some SWR Aromatic. After smoking other pipes for a while and never really having to experience what it's like to break a virgin briar pipe in before, I can really tell the difference as this one is breaking in. You get just a little of that burning briar taste and smell, but it's getting better with each smoke. I keep inspecting it after every smoke just to make sure the briar isn't getting any unnecessary damage. Hopefully after about a dozen or so smokes, I won't even be able to tell anymore, and this one will become another in my rotation. Feels pretty good to have one of my very own carved pipes in my rotation.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Thanks! You could be on to something, Duane, but I'll definitely need more practice and some more tools. Doing what I did for this one was really fun, but I don't know if I can see doing that an awful lot.
My buddy Bruce Weaver started making pipes as a way to have something to do after retiring. His mother was an artist and he wanted to see if he inherited her talent. I would say that hobby turned out very well. Just sayin'. :mrgreen:

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
My buddy Bruce Weaver started making pipes as a way to have something to do after retiring. His mother was an artist and he wanted to see if he inherited her talent. I would say that hobby turned out very well. Just sayin'. :mrgreen:
Well in that case, you never know! Maybe you'll end up seeing some pipes put up one day by CCP - Carolina Craftsman Pipes! :rofl:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Matt, that is one NICE pipe! It doesn't surprise me one bit that you took top prize.

Coming in 2nd place in the slow smoking competition is just icing on the cake. :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.