Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
My wife is a potter and a baker. Primarily she makes items she likes, that satisfy her, or that fill a need of a friend. But she does sell some of her wares. The truth we have come to understand is that it is VERY difficult ever to recoup what a handmade item is "worth" to the maker. The time, attention, talent, discarded failures, costs of equipment and materials -- these things are not obvious to most who might buy these things.
Pipe buyers are at least reasonably educated lot when it comes to their hobby. You don't hear too much "$200 for a little hunk of wood?!" talk at a pipe show. [Whereas I have often heard something like: "I can put my flowers in a water glass and they'll last just as long as in the hand-thrown, exquisitely fashioned, beautifully glazed vase that woman is asking $80 for."]
I think pipe buyers generally have a sens of the artistry and engineering at play in a pipe. The other side of that coin is that while LOTS of people buy pottery, folks from across the spectrum of knowledge, I think pipe buyers tend overall to be a more discerning crowd -- if only because there just are fewer of us. This means those starting out are up against a crowd of educated buyers, with exacting standards, and a sense (usually) of tradition that's going to demand a certain degree of dues-paying and demonstrated performance.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
zack wrote:
On the whole subject of new pipemakers- the biggest problem is that it takes time to figure out that the pipes you spent hours slaving over weren't very good.
That is precisely true and very wise. My wife learned early on not to fall in love with any piece until it was truly, utterly, complete and satisfactory. Potters have to deal with the unpredictability of the kiln. Stuff just happens. Pieces crack; glazes go horribly wrong. And when everything is finished, you have to be able to look at it and ruthlessly say "not good enough."
One reason I'm NOT any kind of artisan, I think.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Oh, also, how long per boil? Then air dry and re-boil, or.....?
The burls are kept moist for several months after harvesting, then cut, and boiled. I don't know exactly how long he air dries them at that point- I think he mentioned around 3 months. The reality is that most wood air dries to ambient moisture at around 1" per year, so a 2" thick block would need a couple of years. Boiling a finished stummel would be a bad idea- it would completely screw up your mortise...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One of my favorite carvers (I own about six of his pipes, or more) must have inherited the family farm. He sells only at the state fair and the regional pipe show, not online at all. "I'd spend all my time taking pictures." He prices his pipes to sell to impulse buyers (and his devoted experienced pipe smokers) at the state fair, and with decades of training and craft behind him, keeps the prices within reach of farmers and blue collar guys. I admire his pipes and his ethic as well. It sure shows up in the smoking characteristics of his work. Jerry Perry of Colfax, N.C. He's really one of a kind.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
What the world needs, what the world really needs... is more poorly executed blowfishes, with more fossilized walrus nipple adorning the shank.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Sasquatch- your comments on fossilized Walrus nipples are so sexist- everyone knows the finest material found on ancient walruses is the Oosic- fossilized Walrus penile bone- i’ve Used it with great care and discernment on maybe 20 pipes this year...the smell of hot, burning Oosic as you grind it down is memorable..

a4u8sj.jpg

2ep7a4p.jpg

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Oosic! :roll: I been doing it wrong the whole time! No wonder I'm not rich from pipes yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.