PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Before she became Katniss and Raven/Mystique Jennifer Lawrence made this quiet, little film in SW Missouri. She was given a Best Actress Oscar nod in 2010 for this role but I always avoided watching the movie because it's just like seeing an O’Neill play. All you want to do afterward is cut your throat.
"Winter's Bone" is set near and around the community of Forsyth, not too far from my hometown, and an area I know well from hunting and camping trips. It's a hardscrabble life: any arable land is prone to flooding and the hills give up little more than lumber. (One of my favorite Ozarkian sayings, "That land's so poor you couldn't raise a fight on it with a bottle of whiskey.)
Ms. Lawrence’s Ree is a 17-year-old girl taking care of her mentally disturbed mother and raising her young brother and sister. Her dad uses their home and 10 acres of hardwood trees to post bond on a meth cooking bust. He takes off and Ree sets out to bring him back in time for his court date.
Her journey is epic, maddening, depressing and hard fought. The story is well told and beautifully filmed. There’s lots of very good local talent on display with rock solid supporting roles from John Hawkes and Garret Dillahunt. I’m sorry I avoided this movie for so long. I still want to cut my throat but it’s so well done – certainly one of the ten best films I’ve seen in the past few years.
Fnord

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yep, the best movie that no one saw.
Best movie quote ever, I use it frequently: "I done told you to shut up once, with my mouth".

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Just watched Winter's Bone on y'all's recommendation. Excellent movie and great performances. Countryside was most beautiful. Thanks!!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Agreed...great movie. Only saw it once, several years ago, but I think of it every now and then, and definitely plan to watch it again.
In the age of endless CGI-comic-book-remakes, movies like Winter's Bone are an occasional jewel.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Watched it quite a while ago, re watched it tonight, why don't they make good movies anymore, lovely country side, authentic story, no remake of the remake. Hollywood is going to shit because the Deplorables won't go to the Box office anymore . No political rant just an observation.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
The novel "Winter's Bone" was written by Daniel Woodrell. Woodrell also wrote the historical novel "Woe to Live On" which was made into the movie "Ride With the Devil". Another great book & movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.