Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
As the years progress I find I am enjoying wine more and more.
It's not as mysterious as some would have you believe either.
What’s the right way to taste wine?
Here’s the first thing you should remember: If you’re enjoying it, then whatever you’re doing works. You’re doing it right.
Read more - Wine Tasting Basics

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Great articles Kevin.
I am enjoying wine more and more. I didn't really enjoy it too much at the beginning, but the more you do it, the more you're able to pick up the flavor nuances of the particular wine.
It is just like tobacco for me. The longer you smoke (pipes & cigars), the more you are able to distinguish the flavors in the tobacco.

jorchamp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2016
The Italians say that you should chew your wine and to drink it down.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I am a certified sommelier by OSR (trans. Romanian Sommelier Organization) a AIS (Italian Sommelier Associations) member. I have read the article, and in a broad sense it is pretty much in accord with what they taught us in "wine tasting school". Of course, things can get into much more detail than what is explained over there, but for a wine lover that drinks with friends at home, and not a professional that recommends wines in high end restaurants, adhering to the information will yield more than a satisfying experience. One significant detail that I am surprised the article left out is decantation. Using a decanter is a must for barrique-ed red wines, especially.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Let the wine breathe after opening, red but white wines too, and swirl counterclockwise, and give the glass a deep inhaled sniff before drinking and take time to evaluate its "nose" (scent). I've really gotten into some pleasant table wines this winter, and one good aged Chianti, but with the short daylight and recent heavy snow, I found it just made me too groggy, had to lay off to get my energy back. If you're feeling hyper, wine may help. Clue: don't buy the Chianti in the basket bottles; spend a little more, it can be quite good.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I'm a huge fan of opening a bottle of wine....letting it breath while dumping down the drain....and getting a nice and satisfying glass of bourbon.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Was never much of a wine drinker before my triple by-pass operation 5 years ago. It was scotch and vodka before that. But afterward, my body couldn't tolerate spirits well and switched to red wines. Now love cabernets, merlots and burgundy.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
An elegant wine tasting soiree, with your weasel bitten host, Dick Tremayne:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTw4Fadml7g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA1RjcMVplo

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My older brother is a serious oenophile. He introduced me to some fine wines over the years. My local liquor store is fully staffed with a sommelier so, I need know nothing as he understands my tastes, nothing but robust, oaky reds, nothing French and it must pair well with steak. I ask little and expect much.
I add that he, the sommelier, receives a nice little Christmas present each year.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Wine for drinking tastes relatively the same to me, much like when I started smoking a pipe, all tobaccos did too. I suppose its just a matter of training your palette right?
Now for cooking, a wine during deglazing or making a gravy can really add depth to a meal.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jvn', I like bourbon too, but not with a meal. A waste of the meal and the bourbon.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
What size box is best for wines? Just kidding. I moved where I am partly to enjoy the Food & Wine Classic each year. After 16 years attending and learning from some great people, I agree that it takes time to appreciate great wines, but I was taught there are wines you drink every day, once a month, once a year and once or twice a lifetime. As I get older, my taste have evolved (and my budget has grown) and I do like "better" wines but just like my tabacco, my taste go through stages. I really don't care for Mad Dog 20 20 now.

Status
Not open for further replies.