PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentbob

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2015
I frequently smoke outdoors in wet and windy conditions (most of the time in England) and have several hinged-lid and wind cap pipes: Butz Choquin Rallye, Mr. Brog etc and also use the spring loaded caps on pipes without hinge lids. The only issue I have with them is that I almost always get a strong and unpleasant metallic taste.
Anyone have the same issue? IS there any way to avoid it?
I have thought of trying a pipe with a silver lid in the hope that it may taste better, but I'm reluctant to spend the money on another pipe that might disappoint.
Any suggestions?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I use whole unshelled almonds when there's a real wind, but it requires holding it on the pipe. And I realize few have such readily at hand, but any non-metal thing can be held over the bowl to keep wind down.
Only loading the pipe less fully, tamping before installing the cap come to mind to reduce metal taste intrusion.

Reactions: ron123

bentbob

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2015
Thanks all for your input. I have a Hurricane pipe but tend not to use it much as I prefer bents.
Might give the removable caps another try.

dkaye201

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
I have an old WDC with a cap, I'm not certain that it's silver, but I only taste tobacco. Perhaps the old pipes really are the best.

whitesands77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2016
Denver USA
Silver is an inert metal and does not lend a "taste". ie: Dining sets and eating utensils were once made of silver primarily due to it not being affected by heat or other substances and not giving any "taste"
Plus there is something regal about having a silver cap... :puffpipe:

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
I have a windcap but haven't tried it yet, are there loose ones in silver or would you need to find a pipe already fitted with one?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Never seen a silver wind cap as a separate item, though would consider getting one! Good luck! (Also, I am not a fan of a built in cap; too hard to clean; too restrictive.)

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Bentbob, there are bent Hurricane pipes out there. I have seen a half dozen in the past year or so.

bentbob

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2015
Bentbob, there are bent Hurricane pipes out there. I have seen a half dozen in the past year or so
Buroak - I've never seen one but will definitely be on the lookout now!
For what it's worth, I use my 1940 Dhill windcap (all silver) quite a bit and there is no taste.
Buckaroo - That is most interesting. Peterson do a nice bent pipe with a silver wind cap that I quite fancy. They are a bit pricey at getting on for £300 though. I didn't want to spend that kind of money if I was going to experience the same bad taste. You observations have gone some way to alleviating my fears. When the wife hits the roof for me spending £300 just to walk the dog (as she will see it), can I tell her it's all your fault? :lol:

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
Silver is inert, what about gold?! Now that'd be fancy. I use the removable ones now and then when it's really windy, haven't noticed an off taste, but when I'm smoking with a cap, I'm usually distracted. Funny story, I've used a LOT of things for caps in the past, including seashells, rocks, and bark, just to name a couple. The shell worked really nice, I was able to get good airflow while protecting against the roaring wind on the beach that came up out of nowhere.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not good for fishing or walking, but cupping your hand over the bowl with room for the smoke to chimney out, and smoking a pipe with a deep bowl partly full can make smoking in the wind work. You can even light with a match with a little practice, using wind-breaks -- a tree, a dune, a post, etc. Still, windy outdoors isn't the best pipe smoking situation.

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Sounds good to me... If you have to go the less expensive route, hurricane pipes pop up on ebay quite often. No metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.