Wills's Capstan Navy Cut -- A Short Salty Survey (image heavy)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
Jo8RadP.jpg

m1ubrWg.jpg

cU68rvo.jpg

Capstan Navy Cut is Wills most famous legacy brand, among the many many blends that Wills produced of the years, Capstan still lives and lingers large in our contemporary pipesmoking scene.
Wills is simply too large an entity for me to address them all at once, so I'll start here with Capstan.
Lucky for me, our pijp vriend Arno has done all the hard work of research and did an excellent job of it,

so have a read there for some historical background:

http://dutchpipesmoker.wordpress.com/2013/06/12/oh-capstan-my-capstan/
And,

Neill Archer Roan did a wonderful write-up of a vintage tin of Capstan Mild which is also very much worth reading:

http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills-blog/2013/6/2/smoking-vintage-capstan.html
Recently,

a vintage tin of JBR-era Capstan Medium sold for a fairly incredible price, I'm not sure if this is the average market going rate or not, but I was quite astounded nonetheless:

CAPSTAN MEDIUM NAVY CUT -- One Sealed 92g Tin -- vintage circa 2000

$127.75 !!!!
Now, briefly, I gotta mention the ciggies, just 'cause they were bigtime popular, with the refrain of "Have a Capstan" competing with "Player's Please".
Capstan Full ciggies are legendary and have a reputation for being the most robust of them all, illustrated here in an excerpt by Harry Turner in Growing Up in Fulham :
"I smoked my first full cigarette at Hammersmith Palais at the age of fifteen and, contrary to popular myth, I didn't turn green or throw up, but found the experience mildly enjoyable.
It was a Capstan Full Strength, untipped, a brand that, if it existed today and were being smoked by a minor, would cause eruptions of disgust and horror by social workers, Guardian readers and other balls-aching do-gooders. In 1950, a Capstan Full Strength was as potent a passport to manhood as full intercourse without your socks on with an older woman who wore suspenders."
NKKhXYY.jpg

In 1971 the UK government published a table of the tar and nicotine contents of cigarettes available in the UK market, and Capstan Full Strength contained, by some margin, the highest tar and nicotine contents of any brand.
After you hear these jingles from the old adverts, it'll be ringing in your head for a good while, the tune truly is an earworm:

:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93ExJIrtsyk

:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4WVVoPadoM

:
Can you believe I've yet to try the new Mac Baren produced Capstan? Well, I ain't. One reason is because I was disgruntled that they didn't bring back Capstan Full dammit, why the bloody hell not?!?!?!?!? But I'm over it now, I'll soon pop a tin of blue cappie and see if it sings to me, I hope it does.
Oh yeah, almost forgot, there was a beer named after it too:

aXoEHeY.jpg

...and the echo of yesteryear still haunts some of the pubs:

cRrnxKk.jpg

Now, off we go into the googly gallery!
GFziHEK.jpg

pL4fmPd.jpg

xKWcKXK.jpg

DHBj2wS.jpg

odrTJGX.jpg

MPWtEQj.jpg

u6lMGih.jpg

M1W2Ryl.jpg

JpOghOV.jpg

jmqPkOz.jpg

3psqpsq.jpg

lB28Pm3.jpg

XxGsvDV.jpg

3SpCJ6a.jpg

WcXVNdj.jpg

j2Sw8dr.jpg

jgDzPgq.jpg

lYVJk8K.jpg

BpNqInP.jpg

ylBCCgQ.jpg

S7HAfk8.jpg

MrqXbId.jpg

KMM7Ndq.jpg

zE4j51e.jpg

lUwUDXX.jpg

dfWljMP.jpg

qJBioPg.jpg

GqfKUsu.jpg

WttiSO3.jpg

pYwXdpU.jpg

WZyBnYX.jpg

rO8Mueu.jpg

r3QgVeX.jpg

17Tcpf9.jpg

NHRHpsf.jpg

MFGAzHo.jpg

hrXaSTk.jpg

ktR7EiN.jpg

8oybkDO.jpg

WRrrS7M.jpg

H3Q1DyI.jpg

JDr2x3a.jpg

owVNoPS.jpg

bIxg68f.jpg

4hCGcat.jpg

2RJOOLw.jpg

fWgluGn.jpg

2dkbudW.jpg

0jFDYFy.jpg

LcgdMqQ.jpg

Ip8eb04.jpg

pVonSBV.jpg

VFzvWzX.jpg

uE9fJS6.jpg

5FhRbU7.jpg

2S0CSXN.jpg

1gUN6h2.jpg

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks again Troy. If you're a friend of light and bright Virginias, then I agree with petes03 and think you'll enjoy the refreshed Capstan Blue.
-- Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.