PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I’d love to hear from those of you who have lived through the sale of tobacco brands between manufacturers.

What do you think we should expect from the recent Mac Baren purchase of Planta? Will Presbyterian be almost the same, or much different? And if different, could it possibly be better? Or is all change a loss?

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Presby changed imho about 10 years ago or so, the wrapping changed (to the plastic baggy). For a long time the tins said "William P Solomon" and "made in W Germany". Now maybe that was Planta the whole time, I dunno, but I feel like the plastic bagged presby was a lot friendlier of a mixture, smoother and sweeter. I remember the stuff as being more like 965, kind of a snorty full tobacco, smelled like old socks. But it's possible that my perceptions simply changed with time and experience, and the stuff was the same all along....

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Casual

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
All I have to go on is my still unopened tin, which I guess is still old school. I think it is extremely hard to tell when the changes are because of the blend changing hands or from different sourcing from different year tobacco crops or different growing areas. Blends that stay with one blender change too. We haven't gotten to vintages yet, but it is like that.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I never could tell much difference in the changes. Perhaps a little drier before, but I always got and still get a blueberry smell when I open the tin. I would worry more if it wasn't MacBaren.

Reactions: Casual
Based on MacBaren's reputation, I would imagine if anything, we might see better quality tobaccos being used. Hopefully that will be an enhancement and not a detriment.

Of course the theory of "NYC bagels are so good is because of the NYC" water may come into play if they do decide to up the individual qualities.

Seriously, why ARE NYC bagels so much better than anywhere else? :)

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Based on MacBaren's reputation, I would imagine if anything, we might see better quality tobaccos being used. Hopefully that will be an enhancement and not a detriment.

After tasting what they‘ve been doing with Amphora, I am tempted to agree with you.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Are you kidding? All tobaccos will change. Even when manufactured by the same company. And do you think, in general terms, that quality is improving? That manufacturing practices are slowing down and becoming more quality-focused? Quite the contrary. If you like your blend now, the way it is now, then buy as much of it as you can before the business guys have an opportunity to "streamline" your blend's production pipeline.

Herr Doyle

Lurker
Oct 8, 2020
Germany, Düsseldorf
In my opinion yes, has changed. I tryed already 2 tins of the new Presbyterian mixture manufactured in Denmark by Macbaren and i dont like it.. its very sad a nice and epic tobacco like this one is gone...

When you open this new one PM it doesnt have anymore this powerfull and nice aroma.

The texture in the hands its not the same smooth, wet, nice.. not the same..

And when you smoke it also not the same.. a imitation.. some reminder of what this tobacco was days ago.. sad for me becouse i loved this tobacco.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
I tried it for the first time last night, I've never had it before and the tin i opened was the new Mac Baren. I enjoyed it, tasted like a good English should. But like I said, I have nothing to compare it to, but it was certainly a good tobacco. Good posts here, a tobacco can never be exactly the same as environment etc change, good years, bad years etc. To be honest, I think peoples palates change more than tobacco sometimes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since I smoke moderately and slowly, it seems everything in my stash is no longer available in this form, so most all of it is estate tobacco, aged and not available in this form.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
The answer is... wants to be a Baptist but likes to drink and doesn't have enough money to be an Episcopalian.
View attachment 45873

The question... What is a Presbyterian?​

Yeh, who knows whether it will be close to the same, vastly different, traces of some proprietorial casing. Only Carnac the Great knows. puffy

??
Drinking Baptists up here are MB (stands for Mennonite Brethren, actually means Mostly Baptist) or Evangelical Fellowship (I'm the latter, like Baptists only with a liturgical calendar).

Status
Not open for further replies.