Will Dark Fired Kentucky Benefit From Aging?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
I've been thinking of myself as an English fan, but more and more I'm reaching for the Dark Fired Kentucky blends. My favorite, so far is Mac Baren's Old Dark Fired, with their Bold Kentucky as a close, and similar second place.
I'm buying more than I'm smoking, so some of it is going to age anyway, but I'm wondering if I should be making a more conscientious effort. Will it really change as it ages, or do I just need to make sure to have enough to not run out?
Does anyone have any experience with aging Dark Fired tobaccos?

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
Clickkilck, Whats the time horizon for something like that to reach its peak potential? I have tins from 2012 and was wondering about that.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Yes,yes,yes.....DFK ages beautifully. I have tins that are more than ten years old and they are sublime. The Burley loses some of its barnyard/hay flavors and the Virginias sweeten up and the two meld into a delicious blend that will make you wish that you cellared more. I very much enjoy DFK fresh out of the tin, but I love it with seven or more years on it, P&C has it on sale right now, time to stock up!

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Well, thank you all!
I'm still new, so I'm buying more "never tried" than "old favorites," so I just bought three tins on ODF to cellar, and rounded out my $100 dollars (for free shipping) with a bunch of stuff I've been wanting to try.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm so glad to hear that too. I bought two different ladders of dark fired and I am slow to open tins, so if things are getting better, I'm a happy camper. Dark fired has been around for generations, but I think it has emerged as a kind of flavoring leaf like Latakia and Perique, and so far, I have enjoyed the dark fired blends I've tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.