PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scooterdoo

Might Stick Around
Jul 18, 2018
Hey All -
Have a minor problem I'm sure some of you have encountered. I really enjoy English and Burley blends. This means I stink to high hell when I come back in the house. It drives my wife crazy. To the point she's pushing me to quite piping (that's not happening). Any suggestions on how to mitigate the stink? Or, will I just have to switch to aromatics (which I do enjoy from time to time)?
Thanks!

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Well, someone needs a spanking.
OK, seriously:
I will tell you that Smoke Eater candles are tremendously effective in my experience. I smoke in my den, and I have the HVAC system arranged so there's no return for the air there -- the AC blows in, but none of the air from the room is sucked back into the system. So even if I'm smoking in the den, you cannot smell it in the house, especially as I usually open a window a bit, with the result that there's a net exhaust effect from the room.
The downside is that it can get pretty smoky smelling in that room. I find a large size Smoke Eater candle burning for an hour or so really cleans it out. The den is a smallish room, 10X10.

redone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2018
Just change clothes or at least shirts. That’s what I do if the wind blows too much of the smoke back on me after my evening smoke. I might wash another load but the enjoyment of pipe smoking is making it worth it to me. In the colder weather (was previously for cigars) I have a “smoking jacket” I keep in my garage. Works for me.

I find aromatics to smell worse than a Virginia blend. Try this... smoke an aromatic in a closed room, leave the room, and come back several hours later. It will smell like shit, even if it originally smelled like vanilla or berries, or chocolate while you were smoking it.

A quality Virginia smells like tobacco, but more like an excellent tobacco. Not like cigarettes at all, and more like tobacco, if tobacco were a tea, or herbal. Even when you leave the room and return hours later. It smells way better than the aromatic did.
Maybe you naturally stink. And, your just misreading what your wife is telling you. In that case, see my original comment above. :puffy:
Latakia just stinks, and if that is what you smoke, she is right. Get a new wife.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
We all got different noses. She should be the one assessing the smells/stinks, not us.
Would one of those old smoking jackets be a solution? You could just hang it outside or in the entryway.

Jan 8, 2013
Before you go out to smoke, wrap your whole body in cellophane, the arms, legs, torso, and even the head. But leave a hole for your face so you can smoke and breathe... that's important. No need to use it sparingly, it's quite inexpensive. When you're done smoking, remove the cellophane and your clothes and hair will remain smokey smelling free.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Visit my house, and join me in smoking our pipes in my living room while my (soon to be) wife prepares dinner and perhaps joins us for a bowl afterwards?

scooterdoo

Might Stick Around
Jul 18, 2018
lol. Cosmic, cracking me up along with others. My wife is wonderful. She's not going anywhere. Maybe I'll give those smoke eater candles a shot. It also wouldn't hurt to change my shirt.
Thanks, all.

scooterdoo

Might Stick Around
Jul 18, 2018
Lawdog, that's awesome. Wish I could smoke inside. We currently live in an apartment and have a newborn, so it's not really on the table. Once we buy a home I plan to have a smoking room...or just convert the garage to a smoking lounge. :puffpipe:

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
My wife doesn't really love the smell of pipes and I also have a newborn. It is important to me to not hold my daughter and reek of smoke. My strategy is to schedule my evening smoke outside or in the garage before I shower. This way I can come in, shower and change clothes before returning to my family. Works great. Yes there is more laundry to do, but is worth it to be able to enjoy pipes and keep smoke off of my children and wife. If that doesn't work, see Cosmics suggestion. :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.