PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
Hey all, so I've seen in numerous places that some smokers recommend a wider bowl for certain blends to get more of the flavor in more complex blends. I reserved judgement on this philosophy until I tried it myself, and have to say that in my new Sav 320 (which has a wider bowl than anything else I own) I've been able to pick up things I hadn't before with certain blends I have. So this leads me to a question for the gurus here. I've been hesitating to ask this question because I'm concerned that it will be followed by an outbreak of PAD in my life, but here goes...
For those of you who fall into the 'wide bowls for x blend' school of thought, what pipes (besides a 320) do you use? Thanks in advance.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
The 122 is another wide and shallow chamber from Savinelli. I'm quite fond of mine.
002-033-33692.jpg

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
I think you can get more flavor from a wider bowl because you are smoking cooler. Your draw on the pipe is pretty consistent, so you are drawing the same amount of air through a larger chamber making a cooler smoke.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
I have a couple of the 122’s and they are outstanding smokers but my 320’s are probably my number one favorites for a larger bowl. And yes, exactly what hoosier said.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
I know people who just hate them though.
I actually did not like them when I first got mine until I experimented with the right blends. Seems as if the heavier latakia and balkans do really well. Ribbon cut Va/Pers? Interesting. Going to try RO’s Acadian VaPer in one of my 320’s.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
But in the real world, I use pot shaped pipes like this one for coaxing nuances in flavor.

qgkIFMq.jpg

64alex

May 10, 2016
I find a wider bowl brings up better the taste of complex English/Balkan mixtures. The wider I have is a clay Lepeltier billard which is 25 mm wide and it is wonderful with complex mixtures.

Status
Not open for further replies.