PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Out of curiosity I looked at the tin of penzance for sale there, 1 bid @ $55
Anyway, when reading the description I noticed this....
This is being offered under the rules of Ebay and by biding on this item the buyer acknowledges the following:

1. The value of the item is in the collectible packaging, not in the tobacco itself.

2. The tobacco within is not for consumption or use.

3. This collectible tobacco packaging is not be available at any retail outlet and the packaging has a a value that substantially exceeds the current retail price of that tobacco product in the package.

4. Buyer must be at least 21 years of age.

5. Both the buyer and the seller are following all applicable laws and shipping regulations for this transaction

Having never bought tobacco from them I'd often wondered how they got around any ATF rules.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@bonanza - thats the tin I listed. I just copied the listing of the 8 oz bag. Reportedly, ads with this info aren't pulled. Of course the rules are a farce and Ebay seems to have no consistent idea of which tins are old and which are new.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
a got em right where ya wantem jmatt...

Rats!!! Cramped up in my sniping finger!
I'm sitting on 5 bags and 3 tins of Penzance in my cellar. I'm not in either the love it or bash it camps. It's a nice English tobacco. But I'm more of a Va/VaPer guy so I almost never touch it.
My 9 bags of Stonehaven on the other hand, I wouldn't sell at any reasonable price.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
I can easily imagine the high bidder being a person to whom money isn't of much concern, had little interest in the tobacco itself, and was actually just enjoying the idea of keeping it out of the hands of the others.
But I take a grim view sometimes. I've also got Tiny Tim's "Tip Toe Thru' the Tulips With Me" in my head.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
He is buying it up to hoard until the day he can sell it for $405.00 a bag.
No. Wait. That is what they are already paying in Europe now.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some days I'm just happy to be a cheap old coot. Whatever my troubles may be, I won't be bidding on that.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
the funniest part is...does anyone actually think these bidders are not members here haha

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
How about $86 for an empty foil bag? The description reads:
"Auctioning empty Collectible bag of Esoterica Stonehaven."
3 current bids at $86...unf*ckingbelievable. It's certainly proof that pipe smoking is entirely unrelated to IQ (imho).

Oct 7, 2016
An empty bag of Esoterica, but is it an empty bag of Stonehaven? Notice also $10 shipping charge. And it is a private auction.
I know the email I would send the winner if I were the seller:. "You won an empty bag of Stonehaven. Do you want to empty it yourself or let me do it?"

Jun 27, 2016
My take on the empty bags is that it is probably a shill with multiple accounts, or a shill crew, attempting to establish a market for empty tins & bags.
Or perhaps the buyers know that they are receiving full items (through Reddit or something like that) and he is hiding that from Ebay. He's sold full bags and tins before as such, and is complaining that they pulled his auctions in the descriptions.
The private bidder status always stinks of shade and makes me think that someone is shilling in any case whenever I see that.

Oct 7, 2016
Since eBay no longer shows bidders ID's, only their feedback number, I can't think of any legit reason to run a private auction

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The eBay rules that are always quoted in these listings are not the same as they once were. A seller is required to show a photo of the empty interior of the tin because only empty tins can be legally sold on eBay. The whole "the value is in the packaging and not the contents" is immaterial because eBay USA now requires that there be NO contents.
Of course this "rules" business is, and has long been, bullshit. eBay USA doesn't allow the selling of tobacco from listings originating in the US. International sellers can sell tobacco on eBay as long as it isn't prohibited by the eBay marketplace that services the country form which the listing originates. And given that these are illegal sales in eBay's eyes, the buyer has zero recourse if they get scammed. eBay does a completely inept job of policing these listings, so people continue to sell vintage tobacco on eBay.

Status
Not open for further replies.