PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
it seems lot of pipe smokers end up smoking va and va/per. i can see the attraction, but in this stage of my smoking experience va seems rather straightforward. i find a good english/balkan to be more complex and enjoyable. is there specific reason why people end up smoking va and va/per?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I thought the same thing at first, after several more bowls of various varieties the nuance and subtleties of virginias began to shine. Probably just my palate starting to be able to pick flavors out a little more. They get better every time I have them, still evolving. At first they tasted very straightforward and bland, but now to me they taste very fresh, herbal/grassy, crisp, and clean. Darker ones can even get a little jammy/dark fruit kind of flavor that I love. Plus the various differences in the leaf and with the way they are processed, bright, red, dark, stoved, pressed, plug, etc just becomes really fascinating to taste. The one's that opened my eyes were a six year old tin of Capstan Yellow, and one year old tin of McClelland 40th Anniversary. Still my favorite VA, and just an incredible tobacco. SG FVF and HH Pure VA are must try blends as well IMO.
Cadence had a lot to do with it for me as well, a lot of virginias go to shit immediately when they are pushed even a little bit too quickly/too hot. Plug varieties seem to be a little more tolerant with this in my experience, but full disclosure, I still don't know shit about shit. Just my perception so far. YMMV.
I find va/pers to be some of the most complex and intriguing tobaccos out there. They and english blends are far and away my favorites. Eye openers for me on that one were Esoterica Dunbar and RO Firestorm. Salty Dogs may be my new favorite though, although it has a light rum topping.
I'm sure that will change. If I've learned anything from the world of beer, whiskey, cigars, and women, it is that my tastes and preferences are constantly evolving. I'm a one brand guy when it comes to that last one these days though. But I can still look in the windows and appreciate :)

mindglue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2016
I was thinking about it, because its exactly what happened to me. After couple years of smoking mainly English/oriental I departed towards Va/Vaper. I still enjoy En/or, but smoke them less. I think your question already has an answer: "...i find a good english/balkan to be more complex and enjoyable." Just change it to va and va/per in relation to people that prefers these blends. Our taste is a mysterious beast.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
For myself; because it adds a rich, full flavor without deadening the sense of taste.
I can remember exactly where I was sitting when I first tasted latakia. It was the most incredible bowl, summoning from the dead past of my childhood at once both the catholic altar boy swinging incense, and the youth sitting at a campfire in the Canadian wilderness.
But here's the thing; I have never really captured that sense again. And after a few puffs now I begin to lose sense more literally; the sense of taste simply fails.
Sixpence was an eye opener. Come to think of it...why don't I have any Sixpence!?

mindglue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2016
Lol, after talking about how I love va/vaper, I suddenly decided to get a bowl of "Bengal slices". Its a strange world :D

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Lol, after talking about how I love va/vaper, I suddenly decided to get a bowl of "Bengal slices". Its a strange world :D
Ha! The exact opposite happened to me today. I was heading home expecting to load up some Frog Morton, but when I opened the drawer and saw a tin of Fribourg & Treyer Cut VA Plug and my hand just went straight to it and popped it. Not my favorite Va, but pretty darn good. We'll see again in a few months.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
maybe i should give myself more time. still enjoying the heck out of glp english/balkan blends. i know i enjoy va/per, especially the coins that's been in the jar for few months and have that strong dark fruit scents. but only tried union square and 4th gen aged va for straight va. dunhill navy rolls were amazing.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I prefer the sweet and citrus sweet and tart flavors of Virginias. I don't know that it is necessarily a progression but more of a preference. And preferences can change over time but not for everyone. The only right or wrong is what your palate speaks to you. I also prefer Virginia Oriental blends second over VaPers. I enjoy smoking a number of Latakia/English blends. I just don't enjoy them enough for them to make it into my rotation very often.

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
I find VA's to be a distinct departure from other blends, especially those with Latakia, that they act as a palate cleanser for me sometimes. Oh, and I think they taste good too.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
in this stage of my smoking experience va seems rather straightforward. i find a good english/balkan to be more complex and enjoyable.
I can understand that. Straight VA can seem a little too on the nose in comparison to a rich Balkan. But the simplicity is also the strength. I find straight VA a nice relief and a tasty contrast. It helps me avoid palate fatigue. In my normal rotation, I'll switch between Balkan, VaPer, a burley mix, and straight VA. The key is finding the right blends and the right level of contrast in flavor and in nicotine. Currently my rotation is Westminster, Old Joe Krantz, Penny Farthing, and Ye Olde Signe.

Mar 1, 2014
VA is like the Vanilla of tobacco. It’s easily recognizable and goes good with just about everything. Most other natural tobacco flavours are much more subtle, or less straightforward like the sour tasting Orientals.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
No idea. Don't like straight Virginia's. Unless it's a small amount mixed with Burley. Also don't like perique.
I'm a strict va/bur guy.

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
I find it funny because I went in an opposite direction when I first started. For a long time I was an aromatic guy, then from there I explored the world of VA//Va/pur//Va/bur. For the longest time the smell of anything with lat repulsed me. It wasnt until I had a cross over aromatic (and it really was not all that long ago in relive terms tbh) that the world of English/Balkens opened up to me. But as far as why I like VA blends so much is becuase they can span a world of flavor depending on a wide range of factors. The age and type of Va, and the component tobaccos that go along with them. You can go from hey, to citrusy, to dark fruit and brown sugar and tons of flavor in between. I love English and Balkan blends but IMHO, there is still nothing better than a good, pure left Va that has aged nicely in a tin for 5 or more years. You can't get that type of experience with any other tobacco. At this moment I am enjoying my morning with a pure va that was tinned in 2017 (4th gen 1855) and its sublime. I have another tin that I'm waiting a few years and that's gonna be even better

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Variety is the spice of life. I like my Va/VaPers. But, still like being able to dip into the English mixtures from time to time. It keeps everything tasting unique.
Hmmm maybe time for some Gaslight now that I'm thinking about English.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I used to be strictly English smoker but as I got older my tastes changed to VaPer. The only thing I will guess as to why is that is taste buds simply changed.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
For the better part of 40 years I smoked English/Balkan/Oriental blends and the occasional aro. I began to get fatigued with Latakia to the point where I began to find it repellent.
I picked up a tin of Hal O The Wynd and didn't grok it. I thought it tasteless, simple and bland. It occurred to me that the problem wasn't with the tobacco, it was with me. The tobaccos I'd been smoking had big bold flavors. It didn't take any real technique to smoke a bowl of English, etc. Stuff a pipe and you're good. Maybe you're not going to get all the flavors that are in that English, but you get enough not to notice what you're missing.
I focused on technique, cadence, packing, moisture, with my focus being what combination delvers the most flavors. Virginias are far less forgiving of mediocre technique. After a few weeks that simple and bland tobacco became a kaleidoscope of subtle flavors and a world of new possibilities opened up. Since then I've been almost exclusively a Va, Va/Per, Va/Per/Bur smoker who enjoys the occasional English or Va/Or blend. Latakia has returned to the table in condimental amounts on occasion. I prefer the subtler world of Virginias and their variants.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Because it's light and sweet and works well as a base, a condiment, or a Cavendish, and the Virginia-only and Va/Per versions are often complex and sophisticated. I'm a burley devotee, but I often enjoy Virginias in various blends and forms.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I started smoking Virginias a few years ago out of curiosity. When I joined various forums I saw where a lot of Brits primarily smoked Virginias and have all their lives. It pretty much appeared to me that it was the choice of tobacco for British pipe smokers since tobacco was introduced in Britain and still may be to this day. Although I enjoy Virginias and smoke them regularly, my heart belongs to Burley. I'm just an American Old Codger.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Since returning to pipe smoking, I have found myself smoking a lot more VA/Vaper/VaBur/Burley blends than I did the first time around when I preferred heavy Latakia mixtures. Part of it is that Latakia blends generally don't have as much Vitamin N as I prefer, but also, many of the heavier Lat blends taste just like, well, Latakia. There are plenty of complex Latakia/Balkan blends, many by Pease, but sometimes I find the Lat bombs to be simple Latakia delivery devices. As much as I enjoy Latakia, I prefer a more light to medium touch with it.
Nothing wrong with preferring Latakia blends, though, certainly not the ones made by Pease. If you're looking to branch out a bit, I suggest VaPers that add some Kentucky. Seems to add some extra body and round out the flavor. GL Pease Triple Play is one I'm enjoying a lot right now, and I'd put its complexity up against just about anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.