PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Whether you char I don't think has any real effect on the number of lights it takes to produce a well-burning bowl. Charring is supposed to produce a good light on the second light but I remember any number of smokes that took more lights, whether or not I charred. My point is that the cut of the tobacco and the pack determine how easy it is to light the pipe. One lights until the pipe is lit, and in this charring is not significant.

willisk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2018
Y’all are too funny!! I tried upside down in the shower and it was too wet to light!! Lol

Reminds me of a old joke about Quiting tobacco. They said to try carrots but I couldn’t get them to light!!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I totally turn a bowl upside down in the rain or the shower. But I never light it that way, that is guaranteed rim char.
Or at least smudge!
I recall the Dean of Students at my university walking out of his office with me in a downpour, and turning his pipe upside down so quickly and naturally that I was dumbfounded. Brilliant, I thought. But it's also sensible and, now knowing that "trick" I do it, but with less aplomb.

Status
Not open for further replies.