PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Why read the "What Are You Smoking Thread?" Some members have mentioned that they usually don't read the thread, which is renewed fresh each month. I am a crazily curious guy, sometimes driving my wife nuts with my questions, like living with a nine-year-old. So perhaps I'm not the typical case. Despite being a moderate smoker, a bowl or two a day, with days off, I often post on the thread. I thought I'd offer a few reasons I read the thread, and see if you have other reasons.
My reasons are: 1) To be introduced to new blends, or reminded of other blends I have looked at or tried. 2) As a bit of amateur marketing research to see what people are buying -- the genres of tobacco, aromatic versus non-aro, and so on. 3) To see what pipes get smoked and how people match up the pipes with the blends. 4) To catch the occasional comments and mini-reviews by various members. 4) To marvel at the quantity, variety, and accompanying food and beverage enjoyed by master reviewer jiminks who is a Forums phenomenon. 5) To feed my driven curiosity about nearly everything, not just pipe smoking.
How about you? Do you read the thread, and why or why not?

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I look for inspiration when I can't decide what to smoke and it's the only way I might ever catch up with your post count... :lol:
jay-roger.jpg

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
I don't read it...and that's what attracted me to the title of your thread :) That said, I can certainly see why it exists for all the reason's you gave. For me, I'm just so settled in with just under ten different blends that I would just be repeating myself over and over again if I posted on it, lol; but I do think the thread should provide quite a bit of benefit especially to those new to our hobby/habit.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I like to read what Jim is smoking because we also get a snapshot into his life.
Plus it gives me ideas when/if I'm in the mood for something different.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
It's all about checking in on Jim (I have even copied his food recipes from prior posts). And I like to see what others are smoking and drinking to pass the time. This section, for me, is fun and entertaining in a personal way. It is different than just looking at pictures on Instagram.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I really enjoy getting to know certain people's smoking habits, and if I find (through 'What are you Smoking' or other posts) that someone has similar tastes to me, I like to keep tabs on what they're smoking, as odds are I'll like that too.
I also really enjoy the posts with pictures. Npod and Piffyr among them, but there are several people who accommodate my desire to look at dozens of pipes each day.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I don't read through the entire thread like I do others. I skim through it occasionally out of curiosity to see what others are smoking. I enjoy the posts with the pictures...I always read those.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
econ' and others, I'm not sure I'd skip posting because of self-repetition. I do change blends, but it takes me a long time, so I do some repetition over a three/four month period. But even if you smoke only five blends, or three, you are part of the mosaic, and it's significant to readers that you are happy over time with those, maybe. Also, pairing with pipes is another dimension.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
I don't know why I look through it. Boredom? To waste time? Curiosity?
But I do enjoy it for whatever reason.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Why do I read it? Because just about everything else around here is, as Cosmic would say, jibber jabber. I post on it because what I smoke and what I smoke it in, is about all I really know for sure.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I thank you folks for the kind words. I greatly enjoy the thread to see what others smoke and what pipe they use, pus whatever comments they care to make. I enjoy the company. It's the closest thing I have to being with fellow smokers, unless I go to a convention.

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
But even if you smoke only five blends, or three, you are part of the mosaic, and it's significant to readers that you are happy over time with those, maybe. Also, pairing with pipes is another dimension.
Good point mso!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
For a lot of folks, it's not really about what anyone's smoking so much as it is a way to interact with other members. Other threads usually have a very specific topic, and if you don't have anything to add, then there's no way to interact meaningfully with others. But anyone can contribute to the What are you Smoking threads. Kind of like IRL - all those old men hanging out at McDonalds at 6:00 AM aren't there just for the coffee.

Dec 28, 2015
Sometimes I like to read it because no one is bitching or arguing or trying to be cute or trying to impress everyone with superiority in the ways of pipe smoking. But maybe that’s just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.