PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
I've thought about this a few times and am always a little surprised that my smaller pipes get so much use. I have a few larger pipes that I occasionally use for longer smokes but the smaller pipes I have are surprisingly useful to keep around for a short pipe or to sample something. I would never shy away from a pipe because of it being a group 1 or 2 size but no longer am interested in adding any more large pipes to my collection.

Reactions: Bengel

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I love old Group 1 sized Britwood pipes for flake. I have a handful of small billiards, Canadians and Dublins which are my preferred pipes for a single Va flake. As mentioned above, it’s surprising how long a flake will go in a pipe of this size.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Don't you hate that? I wish more online sellers would post images of pipes in scale with something like a lighter to give you more of a sense of what you're buying.

Yeah, after that purchase I started paying much more attention to the weight and dimensions of pipes I bought.

I still find that I tend overestimate the size of the pipe in my head compared to the actual size in hand when it arrives.

along6

Lurker
Apr 17, 2019
I use small pipes more and more recently. When I surf pipes, I give the restriction of weight between 20-30g.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I have a couple of smaller pipes that I quite enjoy. I use them primarily for Virginias. It's surprising how long some of those smokes can last.
I personally don't want anything larger then a Group 5. I lean towards Group 4 & 5 for lat blends and the irregular aro. I have a couple, but usually those are online purchases that are larger then I thought they were.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
My first briar was a Savinelli 109. Tiny billiard, size 1-2 maybe. Like everyone else, that served as a lesson on how to read chamber depth and diameter measurements.

Now that I’m trying to master folding and stuffing flakes, I get a lot of great use out of the smaller pipes.

The two bulldogs in the back are for size reference. The three in the middle are Savinelli Piumas with about .5-.6 diameter, and the Hilson dublin up front has such an extreme conical shaped bowl that it fits into my smallest pipes catagory. I like a variety of sizes. Some tobaccos just taste best in a smaller diameter, IMO. But, I can keep my smallest pipes smoldering for almost an hour, in the right situation.
I always smoke the strongest tobaccos in one of the two large bulldogs. YMMV

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I've mostly been buying very small pipes the last few months. My favorites are little group 1-2 dublins with conical bowls. Weight is a big issue for me (bad teeth), and I like to cycle through a lot of different blends in a day because I'm still actively trying to figure out tobacco flavors and whatnot. Small pipes let me smoke a bit of this, and then a bit of that, and then a little bit more, and on and on. That said, I invariably choose a big, honking pipe in the morning for drinking coffee and running around the house trying to get my act together for the day - I need something that smolders for a while without distracting me. And I love a big pipe for blends with really variable cuts.

Reactions: SpookedPiper
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
some time ago I got me a straight France made Rhodesian shaped pipe which was had so miniature chamber size I decided to get rid of it,it was kinda like shag pipe but to my great surprise this pipe smoked very well and was very affordably priced as well, most of my pipes are in 3 to 4 size group but also I have few smaller ones, small chambered pipes are very versatile and useful and I highly do recommend them to people who are just starting out their pipe journee, as I'm noticing rookie pipers tend to buy unnecessary big pipes for their first pipes5586

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I typically have neither the time nor inclination to smoke big honking bowls anymore. I think my attention span is shrinking. Also, I prefer small bowls for flakes. I do have a number of oversized giants, one of which remains unsmoked, that I keeping wondering when I'll find the time to smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.