PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
keep test the draw. it's that simple. dry the tobacco, mindlessly stuff the pipe with it, test the draw, stuff some more, test the draw, stuff more, test.. soon the bowl is filled. test the draw. if it's good, light the tobacco. if not, take tobacco out of the chamber and do it again. stuffing should have some resistance, don't force it hard.

Reactions: BROBS

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I tried the “Swirl Method” once in the beginning. It’s a little on the gimmicky side of pipe smoking procedures, but if you get it to work; great! I just gravity fill and tamp. Then draw to see how tight the pack is. We pipe smokers tend to overthink things, especially in the beginning.

Reactions: Bowie

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
My girlfriend is really good with that, but when I told my wife how to do it, she walked out of the room.

So now, I am content with the index finger, scooping and tamping gently before the light.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
45 years ago I put the tobacco in the pipe and lit it up. I quickly learned what was too tight and what was too loose. Not rocket science. Some of these online "instructions" are a bit odd, some entertaining, some idiotic, and very few -IMO are helpful. The Frank Method cracks me up.

I know a lot of these "instructions" are meant to be helpful but I find them more confusing fora new pipe smoker. And amusing.

It's simple trial and error, nothing more. I tend to pack on the loose side and tamp as needed from the first light. A lot depends on the tobacco cut as well. Some "cubed" cuts (like ERR) are just a gravity feed, " fill and light."

The "SWIRL"..... that's a new one, lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Bowie

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I tried the “Swirl Method” once in the beginning. It’s a little on the gimmicky side of pipe smoking procedures, but if you get it to work; great! I just gravity fill and tamp. Then draw to see how tight the pack is. We pipe smokers tend to overthink things, especially in the beginning.
The only swirl method I have ever used was at summer Camp when sticking a persons head in a toilet and flushing.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.