Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
One of the rules of the forums is that no Hookah discussion is allowed.
Someone sent me a PM to ask why. (I really appreciate it when people read the rules.)
I thought this was a good question and decided to post part of my answer here:
The reason is that I desire to keep this site focused on the niche of traditional pipe smoking.
Hookah is a completely different experience, different demographic, different market, and different potential advertiser base.
Although many websites are amateur hobbyist endeavors, I am running a business here, and I actually make my living from this site. I need to keep it focused.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
As it is true that a hookah is a water pipe. The filtering and the tobacco itself is not conformed to American Pipe Smoking. Plus there are places to discuss Hookah's. And it isn't here. Good for you Kevin.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I tried a hookah for the first time last year, and it's a totally different experience.

aussielass

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 18, 2011
Oh Lordy, perish the thought we would ever be invaded by such smokers, it's just not cricket! Certainly not a culture I care to explore any further than we are already subjected to and bombarded with on a daily basis.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Im not going to lie, I have a hookah, and on a very rare occasion ill smoke it, but im talking once every three months, not a couple times a day like my pipe.
Good rule

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Just to clarify, it's nothing against Hookahs or people that enjoy them.
It's just to keep a clear focus on a distinct market.
That also why I have a completely separate website for cigar smokers, even though there is some cross-over between the two markets.
Even though I'm not really a fan of Hookah, and I've called them the wine coolers of the tobacco world, I did smoke one a couple of weeks ago. However, it was in the wee hours of the morning and I was under the influence of alcohol and females. Ha ha ha ha ha!

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
However, it was in the wee hours of the morning and I was under the influence of alcohol and females. Ha ha ha ha ha!
That's why mine is smoked so rarely! When it is however, it usually is a good time

smokenscotch

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2011
This society is pampered enough. Kevin, you as the business owner do not need to explain anymore. You started this site, you run it, you make the rules. I'm sure there are plenty of hookah sites. That's like asking or complaining about why Harley Davidson won't discuss e-bikes or Vespas on their site. Your site, your rules.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I have often wondered how my pipe tobacco would taste once filtered through cold icy water with the help of some form of "water pipe".. but alas my experiments shall not be posted here.
Pipe Smoking kicks Hookahs butt any day of the week. :puffy:

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
Thanks Kevin. I never really thought much of that rule, but your explanation makes PERFECT sense and I have a better appreciation for it now.
I do want to point out, that FAR to many smokers here seem to be FAR to judgmental of anything not strictly Briar. I have seen several threads that devolved into jokes and snickering comments over something legitimate that certain closed minded people here thought was too closely linked to marijuana users. I thought maybe this was the reason for the "no-hookah" policy, regardless of the fact that hookahs are a legitimate tobacco smoking device.
In fact, I was going to post a thread discussing "Medwakh" pipes recently and didn't because I was afraid of stirring up the "OMG, IT LOOKS LIKE POT COULD GO IN THERE!" goobers. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to have a rule against taking the hobby so damned seriously that you feel the need to ridicule anything outside your normal view of it. In all honesty, I feel that is the ONE thing hurting this forum. This site is fantastic, and the people here are just amazing. But a completely open and honest discussion of the Tobacco hobby, our dwindling rights as smokers, and the many cultural aspects of tobacco can't happen if people have to worry about mentioning the "wrong type" of tobacco and having a thread derailed with childish finger pointing and laughing. We are adults after all, aren't we?
Sorry for the slightly off-topic rant. Just seemed a good place to put my $.02 in on the subject.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
...But a completely open and honest discussion of the Tobacco hobby, our dwindling rights as smokers, and the many cultural aspects of tobacco can't happen if people have to worry about mentioning the "wrong type" of tobacco and having a thread derailed with childish finger pointing and laughing. We are adults after all, aren't we?
Yes, a slightly off-topic rant but something that several members need to be reminded of from time to time.

Rant appreciated! (-:

Status
Not open for further replies.