Why Is Your Stash The Best Of All Possible Options?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I was just reading Tom Wolfe on his idea of the "fiction-absolute":
Even before I left graduate school I had come to the conclusion that virtually all people live by what I think of as a "fiction-absolute." Each individual adopts a set of values which, if truly absolute in the world--so ordained by some almighty force--would make not that individual but his group . . . the best of all possible groups, the best of all inner circles. Politicians, the rich, the celebrated, become mere types. Does this apply to "the intellectuals" also? Oh, yes. . . perfectly, all too perfectly.
This led me to wonder: do I do this with my stash? Do I look at what I have cellared, and justified it as the best of all possibilities of tobacco that I could have stashed? And if so, what am I missing?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have a little of everything, plus some discontinued blends, and tobacco going back to the late '90s. I'm satisfied.

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
A person's cellar would not be the best. However, at the moment of purchase it would be the best of all possibilities.

May 4, 2015
The only perfect stash would be all possible blends past and present, available at all possible times. Clearly, it's never going to happen. Even if I worked at the SP warehouse.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
My stash is close but I really needed more Wilderness. I thought I had time, then the Sryian Lat ran out
But I have learned to live with disappointment.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
I don't think my stash has as much as I will need/want in the event of being caught in a terrifying tobacco shortage or massive price increase etc. In fact some of the blends I'd like to put away in my stash (but have yet to obtain) include some of DM's own personal blends, some HU Tobacco burleys and some more day to day blends.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
As much as I love the "poofy" flavors I am hoping to stack up a few drugstore blends, like Granger, Velvet, a few match blends. I have read that the match version of CH is better than CH. While I am waiting out Armageddon having a tub of each would be nice.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I don't know about ol'Tom but I love the hope and excitement that comes from striving for the new. In such case discovery of the best will arrive at precisely the same time as discovery of the end. Aspiration trumps satisfaction. In other words, theres always a better tin out there waiting to be cracked.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
@thomasw -- thank you for the mention of the metal mixtures. If you ever need some, let me know in advance and I'll make sure I have them brewed up.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
My stash is deep and fairly wide. I've only purchased about 20 tins this year, along with some odds and ends and it's deeply satisfying to have completed a goal I set.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I exercise my curiosity and then my free choice, but after that what turns up is the scenery on a journey, some better than expected, some not, some worse. I'm not after a Platonic vision, but I try to take note and linger when something wonderful surfaces. Since I smoke moderately, and use the stash slowly, my modest trove looks wide and various to me. Right now I'm sipping Semois in a tall poker, a bowl which improves as it goes. As I've mentioned, I appreciate blends and leaf that is not a project to find and purchase. I consider availability a way a blender honors the customer. If I have to chase a blend across the internet or the landscape, I'm none too pleased.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
It's hard to equate a selection of items to a selected value system.
I just finished two months of "crash course" cellaring.
Although I'm just two months in to the pipe, I was schooled on the FDA deeming issue as a vaper.
My preparations have been splitting hairs to balance quality to budget. Additionally, I'm employing a good bit of speculation, lacking first hand experience with many of the acquisitions.
As we say in the surplus rifle/ammo world, "Buy 'm cheap and stack 'm deep."
Now that I have a small foundation to my cellar, I can slow down and be a bit more selective.
All that considered, my values do color my purchases.
You're not likely to see me in line for overpriced unobtanium, nor will you find me loading up the captain's grape....
jay-roger.jpg

glassjapan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2017
I'm in the process of weeding out the blends that I wanted to like, and stocking up the ones I know I love. I'm getting to the point of less is more when it comes to how many different blends are in my cellar.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I long ago rejected any notions of absolutism and adopted Charlie Papazian's motto of "the best homebrew is the one I'm drinking right now". Although I've given a good deal of thoughtful condideration to building my cellar, compromises had to be made due to time and money. However, I refuse to let the absence of Unicornium deter me from full enjoyment of my pastime. To do so would be antithetical to the pursuit of happiness.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Some good thoughts in this thread:
I consider availability a way a blender honors the customer. If I have to chase a blend across the internet or the landscape, I'm none too pleased.
Pragmatic pipesmoker here also. It makes sense to find things you can relatively easily obtain and enjoy them, instead of turning life into TobaccoQuest.
My preparations have been splitting hairs to balance quality to budget.
It's that balance that makes a blend enjoyable, in many ways. It's within the range of normal and sensible, yet a pleasure that fits your needs.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My preparations have been splitting hairs to balance quality to budget.
This is a hard time for the new guys. I'm in a fairly comfortable place after cellaring for a few decades, but the FDA has incited panic buying among the new smokers.

Status
Not open for further replies.