PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
mso489 I am just curious, how did you come up with this idea? I mean, sure, I agree - forums are not meant to become books, nor could they become regardless of how much effort you put into it. But before you can negate an idea, one must come up with it to start with. So how did you think to correlate two concepts - book and forum ?

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Grytpype:

Yes. Neddie, I have a little present for you.

Seagoon:

Oh thank you uncle, you're always giving me presents! First a christening mug and now this.
Grytpype:

It's a book.
Seagoon:

A book? Oh yes... I've seen one of these before. Wait! I think I've read this. What's it called? 10/6 net? Yes, yes, I've read this, I've read the sequel too, 12/6 net.
10/6 net and 12/6 net would have been the price of the two books... ...in old English (pre-decimal) money
:rofl:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I hate to jabber,though yes, I jabber a lot on Forums. I didn't want to do three screens of text on this. So briefly, perhaps incoherently again, I'll say this. Forums is made up of thousands of short bits, essentially paragraphs, some longer bits, like short columns, and a few essays from time to time that are long for the format. Nothing is intended to be part of a book, nor an online book length text. Okay. Understood. I never thought they were. On the other hand, many longer works -- paper printed books or similar length digital texts -- are derived from and sourced from similar short takes. For example, hundreds or thousands of quotes digested into biographies and histories for example. If the quotes were run out at length without organization, no one would see them as "a book." Organized and put in context, it is the material Churchill or Theodore Roosevelt used for their shelves of books. And yes, Teddy was a hugely prolific author. So folks, as implied in the original post, I was thinking of something that would be rigorously reworked. Not quite as farfetched as some took it. And balanced by the fact that I dismissed the idea out of hand at the outset. I would still suggest that books have been derived from less propitious sources It is a funny suggestion. But not quite as outlandish as some think. If it helps you, think of it as an online or audio book. (Read Baker's book on the preservation of paper archives. His arguments may not be conclusive, but they are much different from the pitch libraries bought in throwing out paper, and the high flown archivists at Duke U. believe him.)

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I remember when Deceased Horse was blended by Murray’s. The STG version available today is nothing like it. For one thing the original had Perique and Syrian Latakia . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.