PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I can smoke my meers all day long every day of the week without issue
I just recently discovered the same thing. I've been smoking the same pipe (the claw posted above) 4, 5, 6 times a day, every day, for about the past 2 months, and every smoke is great.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
I don't like the screw in tenons of most meers so the two I have are Petersons which have a nice push in mouthpiece.
The carving is simple and the pipes are robust so they have never suffered any damage. Once broken in they taste very similar to briar to me.....

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
The only meer I ever had had an unpleasant clay/mineral taste to it, even after many bowls. It reminded me of the sculpture kiln from my elementary school art class.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I have two no name Meers that I liked, but didn't love. The biggest draw back (no pun intended) was was the push pull/ screw in tenon. The draw n both was like a cocktail straw.

I smoked them but rarely.

I read on Walker Pipe Repair's site that he would fx the problem. I sent the two pipes off to him. The difference is like night and day.

If I were to find another Meer to purchase I would either look for an open tenon design or if it had the push/screw tenon spend the extra few bucks and have it fixed.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Okay, here are my reasons for NOT smoking a Meerschaum, which echo some of those already on this thread. 1) I don't want to start a whole new pipe acquisition disorder (PAD) spree; I have many/too many pipes, I enjoy smoking all of them, and I don't want to accumulate more. 2) I really do enjoy the smoking characteristics of briar (and a few other woods) and cob pipes, like the way they wear and age, the warm feel of the bowl material even with a cold pipe, and the flavor. 3) I feel mixed about the way Meers color; some of them are exquisite, seeming to "paint" the carving with different hues, but many more just look, well, dirty or stained, to my eyes. 4) Meers are really meant to be kept in their cases, and I like pipes that can live on racks or in cabinets, which you can do with Meers, but then the cases are a separate storage issue. I think Meers really do best in cases, and I'm afraid I'd tend to leave them there and go for a briar off the rack. My favorite Meers, if you can have a favorite of a pipe you don't smoke, are the moderate sized traditional shapes in smooth or small geometric pattern. I raise a bowl of tobacco to Meer smokers and their grand tradition, not my tradition, but a fine and worthy one, and good smoking to you.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I too am confused by this push pull/screw tenon. Meerschaum pipes only come a couple of ways: old style with metal screw in tenon (looks like a stinger), plastic screw in tenon, a push/pull tenon, and a standard tenon to mortise (ie Peterson and newer meerschaum pipes).
I have pipes with all these different varieties, and I don't have a problem with any of them. Since you're only sipping on the pipe, I don't understand why people need such an open draw like a corn cob pipe. The push/pull tenon meers I have smoke wonderfully and I never have an issue with the draw. The meers I have with the metal stinger style tenon are the only ones that won't pass a pipe cleaner, but with a meerschaum pipe it isn't really necessary until after the smoke.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I thought they were mutually exclusive, i.e., one or the other. At least my meers are that way. Photo?
Some have a mortise that screws into the meerschaum and a tenon that screws into the stem.
b06-tenon-mortise.jpg

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I thought they were mutually exclusive, i.e., one or the other. At least my meers are that way. Photo?
Some have a mortise that screws into the meerschaum and a tenon that screws into the stem.
I guess maybe that's what twangthang was referencing. I just think of those as push pull myself. I have several like that and those too smoke perfectly fine for me.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
I have several olde thyme meer lined briar estate pipes that smoke wonderfully. I really wonder why they fell mostly to the wayside by manufacturers. You get the best of both worlds. You get the sturdiness and coolness of briar in your hand and a dry cake-free smoke from the lining...that is until the shank starts getting soppy wet.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Bradley, cool looking pipe, definitely fits you.
Probably the biggest reason I went with the IMP Meer was their high grade delrin push-pull, tenon and mortise system, plus they drilled the pipe to 4mm.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I do and don’t smoke my 3 Meers daily. :crazy:
Explanation ... I take one out with me almost anytime I smoke my briar pipes. I fill only a pinch with oriental tobacco and puff here and there. Why? Just to help them color. I am impatient and want them to get activity. So I puff a bit here and there simply as a means to get them some smoking time.
And I love my little 19 gram meer for walking the dog. So lightweight. But if I drop it it’s gone forever. I’m ok with that. Hasn’t happened yet.
Meers are great for guys with back problems! Why? Because if you drop one you don’t have to bend down and pick it up. :rofl:

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
jpmcwjr chasingambers uploaded a picture that matches the system I own. Not a particularly good smoker ... somewhat restricted draw, makes me puff harder which in turn heats the pressed meer bowl, which in turn messes with the tobacco taste.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
With that tenon setup, try a looser packing. My AKB claw is like that, and smokes fine.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have pretty much the same beef as Madox07. Makes me think many most of the master carvers don't smoke their own pipes. Fred Bass said he never had a problem with those tenon-mortise systems, but for me they're a PITA.

Status
Not open for further replies.