PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I clicked this thread for the sole purpose of posting this joke:
I clean my rim so I don't leave marks in my underwear.

Duane beat me to it. Nicely done sir.

Thank you very much! I like the way you think! :mrgreen:

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
@jpmcwjr ... "JERKIN" huh??!!!! :rofl: Well I made up a word to remember your flippin cryptic avatarasaurus: Jappem-COW-ajer!! HA! Take that!
Now... is french polishing anything like french kissing? (And NOWHERE near The Captain's underwear!!!)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
OH, thank you, auto correct. I just didn't catch it. Jerwynn - hmmm it shows it's "misspelled" but didn't change it this time.
And, no, French Polishing is for furniture, and nothing like french kissing, although that may lead to polishing knobs, which some pieces of furniture have.... :)

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
For French knob polishing, the only furniture involved would be removing the Captain's drawers. :rofl:

tdehart

Lurker
Aug 12, 2016
This is AWESOME!!! I'm TOTALLY glad I joined this forum and even more so I'm totally glad I asked the question! I got a lifetime of learnin' about rim cleanings, clean drawers, french kissing, french knob polishing, how dogs clean their rims on the carpet... You all are a bunch of freakin hilarious guys!!! Glad to witness greatness in action!
...what I don't understand is how the Captain is able to keep tying all this to his drawers - masterful!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
@jerwynn- Ha! Take that, you, you...close-fitting leather vest, you! Hell, at least he didn't AutoCorrect you as "Merkin". This could be a new trend, going by our AutoCorrect screen names. I can only imagine how it would mangle "Aldecaker".

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
My auto correct came up with "Old cock". That's actually almost a term of endearment on the auld sod. Did I say sod? The UK, to be clear.
Edmund Blackadder and Baldrick converse:
EB: "First Name?"

B: "I'm not sure."

EB: "Come on, you MUST have a first name."

B: "It might be 'Sod Off'."

EB: "Sod Off??"

B: "Yeah, when I was a young lad playing in the gutter, I used to say to all the other snipes, "Hello, my name's Baldrick". And they'd say, "Yes we know, Sod Off, Baldrick"
- Blackadder and Baldrick filling out an application form.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
You all are a bunch of freakin hilarious guys!!! Glad to witness greatness in action!
Hang around, it get's worse. :mrgreen:
...what I don't understand is how the Captain is able to keep tying all this to his drawers - masterful!
Because that's where I keep the first pipe in my collection! :rofl:

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
@ JappumCowAjer and OldeCocker... MORE HAHA's!!! >>>
I woke up Siri to take dictation and said "Jerwynn" three times and it came out jerilynn, German, and "chair win"... "chair win" wins it for me! All my old Easton/Allentown/Bethlehem&Nazareth (PA) PennsyDutch relatives started any word with J with a CH sound. Hey Cherry, srow me over mein chacket... it's cold outside!"
My favorite was my very first income tax from the IRS... it came in the mail "Jerry Eye-shit". (I can't write my true surname here... they are watching me ALL the time... if anyone guesses it, I'll either confirm or deny only. It's a fine non-anglicized German family name btw.)
What are we supposed to be talking about here???? Oops....

tdehart

Lurker
Aug 12, 2016
I don't know but I think I got the answer I was looking for - I forget what we're even talking about anymore. I keep trying to walk away but you all keep pulling me back and it's worth it!
OK, OK back on topic - did the Captain's drawers get French knob polished yet or what? :laughat:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You'll notice on estate listings on smokingpipes.com, rim char gets demerits. I have noticed that some pipes are made to char at the rims, my Sav Oscar Lucite prince, for example, whereas other pipes char little or none over years. Personally, I'm certainly accepting of a little char; like fills, not desirable in themselves, can lend some personality and patina to a pipe if it is a good smoker otherwise. I'm not much for selling and trading, so in general, the resale value doesn't matter to me. I do cull pipes now and then, trade them for credit, but it's not a major focus or concern. I prefer matches for a softer flame and more control, though matches do not guarantee against some rim darkening. I do buff my pipes after nearly every smoke, or as soon after as I can, and at that point, I buff the rim with the rest. Spit or a cloth with a little sizing (fabric stiffener) in it can remove very superficial darkening, but to some degree, once burnt, the rim remains that way unless sanded and refinished. I'd rather enjoy my pipes, wear and all, that try to maintain them in new-looking condition. It's a balancing act. I don't want dirty battered looking pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.