PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
- these Bic lighter can be leathal to pipes,,

IMO, those pipe lighters that bend the flame down into the bowel are way more lethal to pipes. They char the inside of the chamber walls.

For me and my high end pipes, I only ever use Bic lighters ever. You just hold the lighter half an inch above the bowl and draw the heat (not necessarily the flame) down into the bowl with my breath. This is how I've always seen men light their pipes, be it match or lighter. The return puff is flames jumping up out of the bowl a few times, without ever having had the flame dip down to the bowl. Never ever get char on my rims. YMMV.

I consider those piece of crap pipe lighters to be the biggest lie of the whole hobby. IMO.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
BTW, put one of MM's amber stems on a cob. Over time, they darken too. Love that look ad well. :wink:

tdehart

Lurker
Aug 12, 2016
Maybe you're onto something paulie66scandinavian - I've used my Zippo Pipe Lighter most of that time and I wonder if the rim has built-up so quickly because of the not so clean burning butane. When I have them, I use matches too but usually it's my Zippo.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I don't clean off the rim soot because Idgaf about it. Pipes are not "a hobby" for me, just a vessel to contain tobacco for smoking purposes. Keeping the smoke tube clean and unobstructed by tar and crap, and keeping the cake thin and even so as to not crack the bowl, those are things I'm willing to spend time with.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Habit, I suppose. Dad taught me to take care of my stuff and it'll last longer. Pride of ownership enters into it I suppose.
My Dad is the same way. He's 87 and can still work a garden. My parents both quit cigs in '64. I didn't quit until 31 months ago. My gardening is just a good blueberry patch in the making now.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
I don't clean mine, not as a general rule, that is. Once in a while, I might tackle any given pipe. My father didn't, neither of my grandfathers did, so I just didn't get into the habit. Shucks, wasn't until I saw the subject mentioned on this here internet thingy that I even thought about it. By then I'd been smoking about 40 years, and it's a little late to start a new habit.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
I clicked this thread for the sole purpose of posting this joke:
I clean my rim so I don't leave marks in my underwear.
Duane beat me to it. Nicely done sir.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
All Right, my special thanks goes to Mr, Cosmic,Ineed to rething this matter over, me too, I have seen many experienced pipe smokers using them Bic lighters and only and the way you've been telling- that is the way I ought to practice with my cheaper end pipes ,truly these specific pipe lighters can give you an illusion being a safe and harmless to pipe rings no matter you are using them,but obviously are not,but cant help going back with my peterson pipelighter,since it is on its way,and shame those are pretty expencive ones but not so like IMC Old Boy lighters

shall I send it back to tobacconist?Hardly,Nevertheless extrem Precautions would be taken with them, Grazias to all

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
The only time I clean the rim of my pipes is when I'm giving them a deep cleaning which is maybe once a year. I leave the char/soot there mostly. Sometimes I might give it a wipe if there is heavy char on the rim but that's only a quick wipe with a bit of saliva and a paper towel. I like the look of a well used pipe. With that said the char/soot on my pipes is minimal so to me it's not a big deal.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
My briars look more or less unsmoked externally, after dozens even hundreds of bowls of tobacco have been smoked in each of them, save for a few bite marks on the stems. I let the inside of the bowl carbonize and allow no cake whatsoever on the inside of the pipe. The only pipes I own, that have any external discoloration at all, are the odd estate pipe that I wasn't able to get fully cleaned up. You can call me anal or obsessive, but I just try to take care of my belongings.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
First, more soot on the rim makes it easier for Santy Claus to get in.
Second, cobs, I let be. Briars get cleaned after each smoke, and at least rims, if not all the stummels, get carnauba waxed each time.
Third, I don't EVER let Everyclear/GrainAlcy get anywhere NEAR the exterior of good briar pipes! The stuff is a zip-stripper furniture refinisher to some/many fine finishes on wood. I have learned this the very hard way. I will never hear the end of a certain couple teeny tiny spots on the dining room furniture. (great cleaner on pipe-cleaners for cleaning out the interior airways though)
But, as others have said, don't give a rip about what OCD others do, just do what pleases you!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Jerkin-
Look up French polishing, and hide those blemishes! Though I'd have thought that dining tables would be finished with more than wax or weak shellac.

stranger

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2016
Every so often I'll give the rims a wipe, but I'm thinking of leaving one of my cobs alone to see how 'well loved' it will look in a year or so. I like to keep the pipes looking good but I don't stress too much if they look a little used.

Status
Not open for further replies.