Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will concede, but with an explanation. If one is an aficionado of cigars, meaning someone who can tell a Cuban from an Italian cigar, then yes. For example, when I say that Semois tastes like a cigar, an aficionado will say, "what the hell kind of cigar do you smoke?" I can cure a burley to have cigar notes, take Kentucky Dark Fire for example, many cigars are made of it, and has a cigar quality to it to the non-cigar expert. But, a expert cigarman, would throw his nose up at the flavors. But, to someone who smokes pipes, they will smell cigar notes from the fire cured burley.
I can color cure a Virginia to have cigar notes, and I can (and do) roll my own cigars from these red Virginias and can smell that oily cigar note in the stick as it burns. Any burley can be made to have that oily aroma. But, no, a cigar aficionado probably wouldn't find it as enjoyable as a Cuban or even Nicaraguan (or maybe any other cigar). It may not be even close to what the expert knows of as a cigar.
So we have two different realities. The cigar expert's reality, and that of someone who has smoked a few cigars but knows more about his pipe tobaccos. The OP (to me) wasn't speaking from the stance of an aficionado, but rather a pipesmoker.
I hope that makes more sense.

As a side not, but related... Russ (one of our resident tobacconist posters and magazine contributors) has posted much about what makes the difference between blends that have cigar leaf in them and cigars. Many will say that cigar leaf in the pipe doesn't taste anything like a cigar. He explains that much of what we sense of a cigar from smoking a cigar comes in through the leaf touching the lips. So, once used in a blend for the pipe, there is a drastic difference in flavors. This is why you can't get an exact cigar experience from smoking a pipe, but the notes for one that is familiar with cigar leaf in a pipe are there, and that oily flavor is there. So, when one gets used to what to expect from smoking this leaf in their pipe, you will start to find some similarities in other leaf, such as Semois.

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
To be honest, I I've learned a hell of a lot in this discussion; it's made me go out and research this topic a lot more. What I draw from it all is that when it comes to cigars, both of us are right, but neither of us are completely right. The making of a good cigar is simply so complex that all of the pieces have to come together in the right way to make it right...curing and fermentation, location, soil, all of it...that's really what makes a cigar different from a pipe, i.e., the complexity and recipe that goes into making it. Thanks for the debate Cosmic, I love learning...

Hopefully, one day, you can shore your knowledge of cigars with me, because by no stretch of the imagination do I think of myself as an expert. I have learned a lot from growing and curing, but I do know that I have much much more to go. I have learned a lot also. I enjoyed the conversation as well.

jdhayes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2016
I am most certainly not an aficionado... of anything really :) Thanks for the lively discussion! I am learning a lot. I briefly read up on Connecticut shade tobacco, interesting.
I also agree that some of the cigars flavor come from touching your lips. Which at first was off putting and why I prefer a pipe. Now I'm wondering if I can pick up one of those overpriced estate cigar holders on ebay and see how it effects the smoke.

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
You can give it a shot JD...but to me, part of the fun is chewing on the end, getting it all slobbery and tasting all those great juices that you extract from the leaf :D To a great extent it's almost like a good chewing tobacco experience. Smoking a quality cigar can certainly be a multidimensional if you want it to be. That said, like pipes (and I know Cosmic will agree), find what you like best and seeing if a holder improves the taste for you is a great way to start! The really important part is just doin things with your old man...that's what really counts. I never had a dad, so I'm envious :)

jdhayes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2016
Eco - sorry to hear that man. Me and my dad have a pretty good bond. As I'm getting older. about to hit the big 40 (I know, not that old to some) seems like we are just a couple old farts bitching about kids these days and married life haha. Good times!
Crash - yeah thats what I need to do. Save the end that is bout to burn my fingers off and stick it in a pipe. Just the tip... I'm sure there is a joke in there somewhere.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
JD, there is a very diverse range of flavor in cigars. They don't all "just taste like a cigar".
All good cigars are not expensive, and not all expensive cigars are good. Lately, I have been making quite a hobby of ferreting out good-tasting cigars in the "cheapo" range. Hunting diamonds in the rough, as it were. PM me if you want some results of my hunt; it may help you out.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
THIS! Is why I love this site and why boards will always be king to Facebook and Instagram.
cul·ti·var

/ˈkəltəˌvär/Submit

nounBOTANY

a plant variety that has been produced in cultivation by selective breeding. Cultivars are usually designated in the style Taxus baccata “Variegata.”.

Yep! Me learned tonight.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
My opinions, may be spider poop.

Cigar leaf is different because (in order)

Strain

Curing method

Location grown
I have smoked a fair amount of different varieties of cigar leaf in a pipe. IMO it does taste the "same", but it is *much* stronger tasting in a pipe (so, not the same). The mouth feel has something to do with it, but I feel that it has a whole lot to do with how it burns and how the cherry develops. Cigar smoke is filtered through the cigar, but more importantly has a controlled cherry throughout as it burns down. The way a cherry develops in a pipe is more complex, with large parts of the bowl burning at once at some points.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Another thing that amazes me about cigars is the magic of how much influence the outer wrapper leaf has on the flavor.
That's why I love panetelas/lanceros. Because of the wrapper to filler ratio they are usually more packed with the flavors.

Reactions: odobenus

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
+1. People often underestimate the difference in flavor profiles of the same cigar in different sizes. The wrapper/filler ratio makes a huuuuge difference on the overall taste experience.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like bulk cigar leaf as a condiment for pipe tobacco mixes but am always aware this is no cigar experience. Cigars are rolled and wrapped, carefully designed to deliver a certain flavor and experience that is distinctly cigar-like. Care and art goes into pipe cuts and blends, but for that distinct purpose. I have enjoyed a good cigar and still do from time to time. I just feel more involved and pleased by a pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.