PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
zombie107-600x450.jpg

Realize from other posts that a number of people here don't like his work but was wondering how many do. I bought my first Zombie (#107) last night.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Welcome to the forums and congrats on a cool little creepy pipe! I've been an Olie Sylvester fan for a while, although I only have one of his pipes. Mine is one of his little "Bloody Knuckles" meerschaum pipes. I think that most pipe smokers find them a little too novel, or creepy, or something. I think they're fun and quirky. I might have to get one of his briar pipes someday.
Your pipe is a rather nice example of the Zombie pipes, some of which can be quite gruesome. You try smoking it yet?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm a little skeptical of the "creepiness" claim, and the fact that the stems don't come off the pipes for cleaning. Many of the pipes look interesting and unusual, but I'm not sure I especially like them being sold as creepy. Let us be the judge of that. I do like his original interpretations, and some of his small "imp" pipes look more traditional and pretty good at that.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Sorry mso, I was using the word creepy to describe the general feel of some of the designs. That's just my opinion, not saying that is how anyone else is supposed to see them. Olie himself calls the pipes "Monstrosities", and describes them as ugly. So I guess everyone can call them as they see them. How about weirdly beautiful?
PS: Mine comes apart to clean, not sure of other styles.

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
I enjoy the creativity but have not found one that did much more me yet. His tampers aren't bad either. Let us know how she smokes.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I think Olie is one of the hidden treasures of the pipe hobby. He is just a great person. His podcasts are really exceptional. I probably have bought 4-5 of his pipes. They are not for me be the younger crowd at the pipe club.

vespertillio

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2012
I have one of the Nazgul series. It just called to me. It's quite disturbing in many ways and I doubt I'll smoke it but who knows...maybe one of these days. I keep it on the shelf to keep the other pipes from getting too uppity. :)
http://rokstarpipes.com/olie-sylvester-monstrosities/olie-sylvester-nazgul-7of-9-the-fallen-series

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
I e-mailed Olie with a question concerning the limited edition Imp series they have at Cup O' Joes. That led to us exchanging a few more e-mails and I wound up ordering my first commissioned pipe today. The name stamped on the bottom will be "Son of Sam".

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
I have a few of Olie's pipes and got to work with him for a long weekend about a year and a half ago. The stems come off the pipes. In some cases with the Zombies where they won't, he clearly states that. I can personally attest to the quality and craftsmanship of his pipes. I also can tell you that you will never meet anyone nicer, kinder, and weirder than Olie in the entire hobby!

Status
Not open for further replies.