Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Recent Posts

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tuold

Preferred Member
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Some time back I bought an estate pipe with an English royal coat of arms stamped on it with the word "Natural" next to it. Underneath it is stamped "Imported Briar". I was never able to find out what company might have manufactured it and just wrote it off as another basket pipe.
Then I bought the pipe pictured below with the same markings and became more curious. Google results yielded a Whitehall pipe withe Natural stamped underneath, but it's not the same quality as the two I have. It arrived with a 40's or 50s era Marxman, if that is a clue. (Both of them are very nice pipes)
Any information is appreciated. If anyone else has one I'd be interested in seeing pictures.

snagstangl

Preferred Member
Jul 1, 2013
I have said a few times that I thought it was Druquer and sons. But G.L. Pease said he never saw any pipes while he worked there that were marked like this. I have also seen them marked "antique" instead of "natural". It is an ongoing mystery.

mayfair70

Preferred Member
Sep 14, 2015
I'd go with Drucquer & Sons because that lion is also their family crest. They made pipes long before that store in Berkeley. Here's mine...

http://pipepages.com/druq13.htm

danielplainview

Preferred Member
Mar 30, 2014
wv
If it's tied to Whitehall, good luck. The Whitehall name was passed around a lot. I've seen them with American, Mexican, Italian, French stampings. I've had some older Whitehall's that were top notch quality Algerian briar. I've also seen some examples that were of sub-par fit and finish. At one time Whitehall was a small factory operation in West Virginia. The ones I've seen from this era were very nice.

homewaters

Jul 16, 2014
I owned this one at some point but sold it in an effort to thin the herd... It was a nice pipe, clean and classic lines. I don't think it had that coat of arms with the lion though.