Who is DK on Tobaccoreviews.com Because He is a Genius.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
When I am considering trying a new tobacco I usually read reviews by the three wise men mentioned above. I may not always agree with them but always find their reviews excellent and informative.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I've smoked enough blends over the years that most prolific reviewers will have reviewed several of ones I'm familiar with. I can tell from those whether our tastes match enough for me to make a buying decision based on their review of one I haven't smoked. Sort of like seeing a quarter in a photo as a size reference.

hedgehog

Might Stick Around
Sep 25, 2013
Yes, another upvote for SteelCowboy too. Permanently grateful to folks willing to spend the time and money necessary to expand our collective understanding!
@JimInks: it's always great to hear of someone else from the tribe of hedgehog. I chose the moniker because my wife is French, and the French word for hedgehog is "hérisson," very close to my last name, which is Harrison. Also, there's that quote from Isaiah Berlin: "A fox knows many things; a hedgehog one important thing." I'm not sure what the one important thing is, but I know it has something to do with taking your time and smoking your pipe while you are at it. Also: my kids love Sonic!

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
This thread is several years old but worth reviving because DK is one of the greats on tobacco reviews. More often than not, DK's perspective has pushed me in the right direction when considering trying a new blend, (plus he can be really funny). Wish he was active on this forum.

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
I love consistency in a reviewer’s report. Like mentioned above, I don’t always agree with an overall blend rating, but if that reviewer maintains consistency in how they review, I can apply it to my personal taste preferences. This, IMO, is what makes @jiminks so valuable. The truth is, my 30yrs of pipe smoking haven’t aligned my preferences or perception(s) with his, but he is so incredibly consistent, I get an accurate read and understand how I will likely experience the blend.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I love consistency in a reviewer’s report. Like mentioned above, I don’t always agree with an overall blend rating, but if that reviewer maintains consistency in how they review, I can apply it to my personal taste preferences. This, IMO, is what makes @jiminks so valuable. The truth is, my 30yrs of pipe smoking haven’t aligned my preferences or perception(s) with his, but he is so incredibly consistent, I get an accurate read and understand how I will likely experience the blend.
My ratings don't reflect my personal taste. I rate blends against other blends in the same genre, and not for how I personally feel about them. That helps take as most subjectivity out of it as I can.

I am pleased the reviews help you. Thanks for the kind words.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Perhaps DK has tired of tobacco and is moving on to other things in life. I guess I could understand that, but not sure why he'd want to take his name off the reviews. That's years of work he did that can no longer be referenced.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jiminks provides all the temptations by review that I can stand. I smoke my stash at a gradual (glacial?) pace, and regularly buy small quantities of bulk or tins that do accumulate faster than I smoke. When I have bought or been gifted with a pound of a blend, it can be slowly used for years. But DK sounds like a help, if you are looking to widen your cellar. Meantime, I need to open one of my well-aged classics. I have maybe eight tins of discontinued historically famous blends. I'm looking forward to Low Country's Guendalose, named after a creek in South Carolina. It has Virginia, Virginia Cavendish, Katerini, Turkish, Perique, and cigar leaf! Incidentally, Low Country was SP's blending shop before it bought Cornell & Diehl. I haven't checked, but I think Guendalose may still be on offer under the Low Country brand at SP.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Perhaps DK has tired of tobacco and is moving on to other things in life. I guess I could understand that, but not sure why he'd want to take his name off the reviews. That's years of work he did that can no longer be referenced.
I don't understand it either.

Reactions: logs