PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The question came to me after reading didache's retirement thread. I became officially retired this past August 15th when I sold my last business. I had been a small business owner since 1990. I have really enjoyed having no business stress in my life. Waking up every day with no thoughts as to what might have gone wrong with the business is really enjoyable.
So who else is retired on this site.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
Guilty as charged.
Outside of a few health issues, I wouldn't change the last year and a half for anything.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I’m 75 and twice retired: once as a naval officer, and once as a rabbi. Of course, you never really fully retire as a rabbi—you just leave the congregational aspects behind. That leaves me time for study, polishing my pipes, the fun reading I always meant to get around to, but never did, and so forth. One of the really fun aspects: I’ve always had truly dreadful penmanship. In fact, the word “penmanship” was an oxymoron when it came to my handwriting. So, I acquired a book called “Write Now,” which taught me to write in a fairly attractive script, truly for true first time in my life. My wife gave me a gift of a beautiful fountain pen, and that was the beginning of a collection of close to one hundred pens of varying types, qualities, etc. I enjoy writing letters by hand and getting back the expressions of delight from people who have received a handwritten letter in this digital age. I’m involved with INCOWRIMO, an international program whose members write a handwritten letter every day during the month of February. Talk about fun! Along the way I’ve also acquired a collection of different inks, and some knowledge about pens, the way they work, construction, etc. It’s been a blast all the way. In fact, these days I’m so busy that I wonder how I ever had time for work.
Funny thing about this retirement gig: I was talking to a young cousin, aged all of 16, who told me how lucky I was, to be able to live, not have to work, etc., and she concluded with, “Gee, I wish I could do that.” And I told her: “Hayley, you can. It’s a piece of cake. Here’s how—I earned it. I worked for fifty years, and what I’ve got now is the reward for all that. So all you need to do is work real hard for the next fifty years and you can have it too.” Ah, the foolishness of their young!

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
I retired a year and half ago and loving it. I have taken procrastination to a new level. Seems like I don't get anything done except piping.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
ravkesef, wow what a post. Thanks for sharing that. You obviously have led a really interesting life. That pen collection must be something, I would love to see some pics of them. I am a lefty and my handwriting is so illegible it looks like an 8 year old. I am amazed that you were able to train yourself to write so well, I had no idea something like that was possible.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
I am 70. Retired 3 times from 3 different businesses. Just began my 4th business. I love life and working at what I love doing.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Retired from my profession back in '86. Worked various positions until 2004 when I decided to chase wildlife with a camera full time. So, now I work for myself doing what I love. Long hours in the summer light, not so much during the short winter days. Out of doors, hauling too much equipment, for the rare reward of catching a bear or other critter being themselves. And, I've got the greatest office in the world.

swb118

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 20, 2016
Retired from law enforcement 2013. Unretired 8 months later.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
If I go out at 64, that means I only have 24 years to go, but who's counting. :mrgreen:
Spent my first 12 years working in various retail positions from cashier/sales clerk to management. Spent the last 11+ years working in Law Enforcement as an Animal Control Officer. If things remain the same that will give me 34 years as an ACO.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
In my sixty-fifth year, and after 40 years a pulmonologist, I have retired from clinical practice. I can't say I miss it - the NHS has changed a lot in the past decade. The 'stress-relief' factor is huge!
I will continue my research and academic duties for the university, much of which can be done from home (with a pipe!). These are virtually stress-free and keep the old brain sharp. I will keep them going for as long as I find them enjoyable.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I retired in 2013 at age 65. It wasn't until about 8 months or so later that I 'found' pipes and pipe tobacco.

Staying interested in your day and happy with your 'retirement' is a whole lot easier for a pipe smoker.

Status
Not open for further replies.