PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Retired from gigs with the U.S. Navy, Veterans Administration (as it was then called), and mostly the National Institutes of Health, for a total of 40 years, in 2011. I had time off for grad school and a job as a audio-visual script writer and some contract writing editing work. I still do some writing for publication, of various kinds. I highly recommend retiring if/when you can do it. Just don't become sedentary -- keep going and doing. If you need to work to do so, do that.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Stopped going to an office 30 years ago, at age 43, though it didn't feel like I had retired- though I had.
When in my 20's and 30's, I thought it was a joke that anyone considered 18 holes of golf as exercise. Now, it's my main form of exercise, and I am grateful for it. With a lay off of 35 years, finding my game again is a long process.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Everyone seems to hate working. It isn't the work, it's the job. Something to think about.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Had hoped to retire in 1 year when I hit 65. But $-wise looks like it might be 66. Hopefully I can afford to retire some day period. Deathmetal, it is the work not the job, though my work can occasionally be stressful. I simply do not want to "have to" adhere to any kind of work schedule or hold work responsibilities. Apart from the $ aspect about retiring, biggest concern is potential boredom.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Looks like there are a lot of us old farts hanging out here. In 1996 I hired a manager to run my businesses and he was great. He took over the day to day stuff, but I still had the stress of owning the businesses and now that stress is totally gone.

headhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
I retired 11 years ago after a 40 year ownership of a Farm Supply business (livestock feed and supplies, fertilizer, crop chemicals and grain.) My Dad started and owned the business before I got fed up with The Corporate Rat Race. The business had operated for 75 years and my son wanted to take.over but the business model of the industry was going through dramatic changes. There were many mergers taking place and opened the door to foreign corporations and huge Co-Ops taking over. Although we were a very strong business, Mom and Pop businesses simply couldn’t compete with the deep pockets.so I sold the business to a Japanese Company. My son who has a BS from Purdue Anniversity in Agronomy. He now i is a consultant for 3 very large farmers with acreages totaling 57,000 acres and is happy as a bug in a rug.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I retired out of the Army in January of 2016. I took English courses to get endorsed in English, and am in my first semester of grad school which will grant my Masters in Teaching in 2019. I will likely be retired twenty years after that, at 68. My wife and I are already planning on selling our house in Vancouver, WA and moving to Vashon island, WA at some point once our kids are all married off and established elsewhere.
It doesn't reflect well when looking at a map, but Vashon Island is like this crazy time warp paradise place in the middle of the Puget Sound. Home values are on par-ish with where we are, so we should be able to sell our 5br/4 bath house and downsize in retirement to a lovely 3/2 on the island... with a small detached shop so I can convert it to a mancave and smoke in peace... in paradise.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Am 70.5, sold our business in 10/2015. Just starting to relax & the only thing I worry about is that the payments for the sale keep coming in!

(& they always do, on time!) But being a type A.............

Status
Not open for further replies.