Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't call that boring. In fact, I kinda like that one too. Let's see who breaks down and buys that one first, ha ha. Actually, I may be more boring, as I've been on the look out for this one... well, when I am also in the mood, ha ha. But, I have been working on my bulldog collection lately.

I1111-2.jpg

But, as too the artsy ones, I really like those, and I would smoke one. But, I just recently became a foster parent, so my funds are in my wife's hands at the moment. But, when I get in control again, I'd give one of them more consideration. However, I would much rather give one of our resident pipe carvers my money, Dan or Zack or Ryan... or any of them. It always means more to me when I know the carver and have conversed with them.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Your wife ===> "What card was that, honey? I don't remember you giving me a card..."

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I have several from that site a few still listed on the makers front page entry and they smoke great, some I would not even care to touch but appeal is personal and affordable varies from one person to another. I own one of Bo Nordhs personal pipes and it’s a classic apple shape with a buffalo horn accent, way off from some of the shapes he made which don’t even make one blink an eye today but in the day would be classified similar to some of the pipes on that website.

banjo

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Some are a bit outlandish, but many are very nice. One that is available that I found fun and quite striking was:
thumbnail.php

I sort of got the impression that in addition to the eccentric streak of some of our members, many upper scale European and Asian buyers may like these. As the world gets more multicultural, it is popular to reject traditional western ideas, this would include pipe shapes, I guess.
Besides, if you listen to hipsters, not many of them have jobs that could result in them affording such pipes... ha ha.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
cos, so the guy gets back to me and says that only a thin pipe cleaner will pass with ease, a fluffy he says you need to break the pipe apart. I appreciated him getting back to me and I told him I will pass. I had the perfect Meer but Zack ruined it. :mrgreen:
wyfbane, it is interesting looking but not something I would buy. I agree with you about the possible buyers, coming from Europe and Asia and not so much hipsters.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Well going back over the entry to the pipe makers photos I only see one still being used that I own and it’s by Jan Syzmon Golowacz, signed JSG.
25252416847_5dab8a7ae9_o_d.jpg
it’ called the Mermaid and smokes great.

banjo

Ahhh-hhh-hhh Sweet pipe, Fish. Not a walking around sort of clencher, but one to whip out and smoke at pipe club meeting for sure.
In anything that can be designed by artisan craftsmen, I think that other craftsmen tend to be attracted to them first. I love to go to the American Crafts Council and look around, most of the owrk is more envied by people who also work in those mediums. A jeweler is less impressed by the crap you can buy at a regular jewelry store, a woodworker would fall asleep looking at goods being sold in a regular furniture store, a great guitar player falls asleep listening to the crap on the radio. But, if someone does something that another craftsman realizes is tricky, hard to do, or shows an extremely difficult or time consuming procedure, the fellow craftsman is more likely to be impressed. Thusly, a great guitar player is awed more by freeform jazz, which may not appeal at all to the normal market.
On here, we mostly have normal laymen consumers. You are not interested in the freeform jazz of the pipe world. You want you regular old three chord progression with no more than a 45 second guitar solo. You want you oatmeal with maybe a little brown sugar with or without rasins. You want your steak blah blah just like all of the other steaks you have had in your life. No monkey brain and mango cream tardies, or 30 minute guitar solos. You want meat and three.
This a site full of extreems that appeals more to the artists and artisans who appreciate the difficult tasks that the artists gave themselves. No dogs playing poker or watercolor landscapes in this bunch. This is servo-neo-extreemism with an abstract bent on impressing people with refined tastes. People who are bored with normal.
I hope this helps. :puffy:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I just found this pipe on ebay and realized that some of these pipes are coming from Singapore which is kind of interesting. This one is only going for 7100.00
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASTONISHING-WORK-OF-ART-SUPER-SCULPTURAL-FISH-FOSSIL-II-SMOKING-PIPE-SAVA-VIP/273059475637?hash=item3f939cf0b5:g:wewAAOSw5cNYS1Ap

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That's kind of neat, the pipe is a component of the art piece instead of being a stand alone sculpture.
s-l400.jpg

s-l400.jpg

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
Naaah these might be coming from Singapore but the maker at least is from Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.