PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Flannel shirts? I didn't know that was a fashion statement. If I were a hipster, I would be wearing a cordaroy sport coat with the patches at the elbow. I had one of those and wore it all during high school with my Levi's straight leg cords. I was styling back then.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yeah, apparently the lumberjack thing is the way to go. I've worn flannel for decades, and just thought it was comfortable.

Jan 8, 2013
I've been wearing flannels all my life as well, and with the beard I wear now I probably get mistaken for a hipster too. I used to wear my hair long, but now just buzz it all off.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
To me they don’t seem that out there. I’ve seen many established carvers make pipes in similar styles.
Personally I’m not a big fan of those styles.
I’m sure it takes a lot of time to carve them, which is probably why the prices are what they are.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've been wearing flannels all my life as well, and with the beard I wear now I probably get mistaken for a hipster too.
Just get one of those little flat caps and you're in! :mrgreen:

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I wear flannel shirts all fall and winter, but open with a t-shirt. Think Ray Barone, not hipster. :)
latest

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would like to talk to the guy who buys this pipe for 2600.00 Euros. I think it could be an interesting discussion as to what he sees in a pipe like that. Check it out. http://pipesart.com/view_product.php?pid=550

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Gotta admire the carving, real artistry. Do I want to fire up my PS Proper English in it? I guess if I owned it, I might.

I kind of like it. There were quite a few on that page that I liked.

People seem to have the notion that artists are making a ton of money. Yeh, there are commercial artists that make works that reach a huge audience, as in TV, music, and other commercial venues, that do pretty well for themselves. And, in a medium where the artist may only reach handfuls of people, they may put exorbitant prices on things, because that is the price it will take for them to separate with the work. But, when I go to gallery shows and art festivals, everyone there is taking time away from their day jobs to celebrate and share their passion for art, creativity, and making. These aren't Rolls Royce driving people. Maybe $2,000 is just what it would take for that person to separate from that creation. Or, it took him 6 months to carve the thing, and he wants to at least make $0.25 an hour for the thing.
Most artists that I encounter in the gallery and show scene are barely asking the price of canvas and paints for their works. $2,000 may seem exorbitant to us, but to someone who may have labored over that thing, it may seem like a mere penance.
And, just because you don't like it, doesn't mean that everyone out there agrees with you. I have a harder time trying to figure out why someone would pay over $50 for a plain old dumbass looking every day joe Dunhill. Excites me about as much as tap water.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
cos, where did I say that anyone should agree with me? Everyone has their own tastes and that is how it should be. I have the right to comment on any pipe I want as that is what we do here. I guess that all of the people who collect Dunhills are just dumb asses who have no taste in pipes. Looks to me that there are a lot more of those types of people than those who buy that crazy looking thing that is called a pipe.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
cos, I have about 5 IMP Meers on my ebay watch list. I just can't figure out which one I want. They are all smooth with no carvings and weigh around 60 grams. I can't decide on a 1/4 bend or straight either. I have never owned a quality Meer like IMP.

I was just kidding the only meer I have ever owned I accidentally broke by walking outside in a snowstorm with a glowing hot bowl, and it just snapped with thermal shock. I really want a quality meer like IMP as well. But, I keep getting swayed by all of these gifted briar pipe carvers around here.
I was just making a bad joke about those huge meerschaum pipes being similar to those artistic carved thingys you were talking about.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
cos, I get ya. I am not a fan of the carved Meers either. I am so boring when it comes to the pipes I love and I admit it. Here is what I call a beautiful Meer. I need to contact the seller to make sure a fluffy pipe cleaner will pass with ease. Once I do that I am out of excuses.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/IMP-Meerschaum-Pipe-Big-Apple-Hand-Carved-in-a-fitted-CASE-i1450/142670054300?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Status
Not open for further replies.